Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Scuff prevention

SV6SLAVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 auto
In true female driver history I have scuffed up mags wheels before ... is there a skin of sorts that helps prevent this if it does happen ? I am and will be cautious but thought I’d ask ?

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
you could allways do what I do and park a foot and half from the gutter :rolleyes: or you can also buy tyres that have scuff protection , but that's expensive .

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Maybe it's worth getting a 2x bucket full of sand and sticking a broom in each and placing them in the streem next to the curb, then practicing parking.

No i'm not being facetious, i've often practiced this in my past cars when i bought them. Now i've got a motorsport with rear view camera with turning guidelines and an auto dipping left hand side mirror so i haven't bothered. It's also not a daily driver.

You could use auto park or buy a BMW with 360 degree camera system (ok now i'm being flippant)... :p

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
i'm hopeless at parking and always err on safety and stay well away from the gutters , also be careful of your lower front bumper
when driving straight into a car parking spot some have a raised a concrete boulard or a high gutter and these will rip off , crack, or smash your lower front bumper , best to stop get out and have a look to see if it will hit, better to be safe than sorry
enjoy your new car , vf2s best holden ever
now keep away from gutters:eek:;)

M

mwb235

In true female driver history I have scuffed up mags wheels before ... is there a skin of sorts that helps prevent this if it does happen ? I am and will be cautious but thought I’d ask ?

You could fit a set if RimRingz (from the U.S. but sold here). I just googled “rimringz” and this is one of the first results just as an example:

https://carguru.com.au/home/10-rimringz-wheel-rim-protectors.html#/color-power_silver/rim_size-19

I have not used these myself but - I was just thinking about it.

An alternative is to replace the scratched rim(s) with new or un-scratched rim(s), then fit tyres with a built in “kerb protector” (thicker sidewall) feature such as the Bridgestone Supercat. Not sure about other makes of tyre. Obviously this still won’t stop rims being damaged if you hit a gutter really hard, but it will stop the gutter scrapes etc from parking.

Fortunately my rims are still good so next tyre change I’ll be buying the Supercats. Have driven on these before and they handle fine, and aren’t anywhere near as pricey as Potenza/Turanza.

White Swan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
Just park in the middle of the road, one of my neighbour is atrocious at parking and does something like that most evenings and turns the street out front of his place into a single lane.

I also intentionally park way off the kerb line 0.5 to 1 metre just to be safe and not damage the rims.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Just park in the middle of the road, one of my neighbour is atrocious at parking and does something like that most evenings and turns the street out front of his place into a single lane.

I also intentionally park way off the kerb line 0.5 to 1 metre just to be safe and not damage the rims.
Yeah don’t you just love it when a driver chooses to abandon their car rather than park it...

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
as above the best strategy is to park well away from gutters.

turn your mirrors down so you can see the curb and don't try to get close.