Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SD Cards and Digital Cameras

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
i just ordered a camera today a Kodak z1012is, just a genral 12x optical zoom(60x with digtial), 10.1MP, HD movie etc etc
after wanting a semi alright one for a fair while i decided this camera was ok for the price

but anyway my question is about SD cards

is it reckomended to get a specific kodak SD card over another brand like sandisk or a generic one?

is there anything i should specificly look into to match the camera?
the kodak site reckomend there high performance SD which is caperable of 30fps.
would you have much probs with a generic brand being slower loading/uploading?

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Kodak wil always try and promote there own composite products... thats just business..

But you have to be careful on what you buy with memory cards. As its a new camera, it will or at least SHOULD read everything in terms of compression etc.

IF you buy a compatible card from a reputable brand. You'll be fine.

aZk.

eurekamad94

street kiddo
Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted, tuned, sick pantha VS
nah it will be fine with a sandisk one it's just them trying to make more money

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
I don't think it'd really matter what brand you get...they all probably come out of the same factory anyway. For what its worth, I use both a SanDisk and a Panasonic SD card with my camera and they both work fine, though my camera's not that great (Kodak EasyShare CX7300, 3.2MP lol)

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
i would recommend you buy a High Speed SD Card instead of the normal slow speed.
they cost a lot more (around $90 for 4gig) but you will notice the difference immediately when you use them back to back.

if you want more detailed info about them, check out the net and you will quickly see the benefits, especially when your taking large pixal pictures.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Erm... $90 for 4GB?? You're getting ripped.

Pick up a 8GB Sandisk SDHC (the fast ones) on eBay for about $40, or $20 for a 4GB one (inc postage).

Cheap as chips, and yes, do get a high speed one (SDHC) you'll need it for high FPS, no you don't need a Kodak one, same ****, different sticker, higher price.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
cheers all

the camera is not coming from a kodak shop but i was doing some searching through the net on the camera and the kodak site recomended this perticular card

wasnt quite sure if there was a huge diff thorugh the sd card range
and you needed to match specific types to specific cameras

so bassically there are normal SD cards and the SDHC which are the high speed ones

im not too phased if i pay a little more for a better brand
although i know sandisk is quite a good brand

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Well, nearly. SDHC are high capacity cards, they go up to 32GB I think (maybe 64GB now?), and the slowest SDHC card is faster than the slowest SD card, but there are still faster or slower ones within the group. It goes from "speed rating 2" to "6" IIRC.

Sandisk are a good brand, and cheap. In this rare case you get good quality, cheaply :)

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, nearly. SDHC are high capacity cards, they go up to 32GB I think (maybe 64GB now?), and the slowest SDHC card is faster than the slowest SD card, but there are still faster or slower ones within the group. It goes from "speed rating 2" to "6" IIRC.

Sandisk are a good brand, and cheap. In this rare case you get good quality, cheaply :)

exactly what i want too know :thumbsup:

just looking at this catalouge in front of me and the cards have a number on them with a half circle around them
i assume this is the speed rating, both cards pictured are SDHC and have the number 2 half circled

is this the only way of gauging the speed of the card? or would the package also have it boldly marked?

sorry about the question just my old man has a 'tomato' SD card which is slow and wont work in are computers SD card reader
just trying to avoid the same prob

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Yeah that's probably what it is. Some manufacturers will also list throughput in MB/s but as I understand the speed rating system is a specification.

In the case of Sandisk, they market their high speed cards as "Ultra", and are "speed class 4". You'll probably want something like this:
SanDisk 8GB Ultra II SDHC SD Flash Memory Card 8 G GB - eBay 8 GB, SD Cards, Memory Cards, Cameras. (end time 31-Mar-09 05:50:00 AEDST)

I've used the 4GB version of that card for high speed shots on a Pentax DSLR, and it works a treat.