Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Seagate or Western Digital

what's your preferrred brand of hard drive

• seagate

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • western digital

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • i call my computer a hard drive

Votes: 9 19.6%

• Total voters

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
i've always been into Seagate, had a bad run with them for a while, but it was because of user error (if 5-10 books bouncing off it is user error)
now i've got one wd green tb and all the rest are 500 gb seagate barracudas.

just curious to learn about peoples experiences and what everyones preferred brand is for speed, quietness, reliability etc.

also now that seagate has bought out maxtor, do you think maxtor quality will go up? never had one to have a problem with, but heard things.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
used to get seagates. last couple of drives have been WD though. had no issues with them so far

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
started using seagate, had a couple of old maxtors fail, had a samsung fail, started using wd's a few years back coz they were cheaper, had one fail a few months back. id suspect because of a brown-out. really need to get a surge protector oneday

i'll keep using wd for now.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
i've got 5 hard drives, 4 are seagate and 1 is a samsung. seagate used to be the best, apparently wd **** all over them now though. it depends how lucky you are really... one of my seagates is a 60gb which is at least 6 years old. been on nearly every day since then and it's still going. another one of my newer sata seagates packed up within a few months, sent it off, only for the one i got back to pack up in another few months.

arrow224

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Western Digital. Although the Seagate in the other computer is still going strong, 5 years after it was put in.

Leigh_G

..forgot the sump bolt
Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 VH SLX, '08 Prado Grande
Your poll is skewed now. I picked Seagate by accident.
Next person that wants to vote Seagate has to vote WD or we're all doomed. ;)

Edit: BTW I have a mix of Seagate and WD's in all my PC's (12 or so drives in total i think) neither has died yet..

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
i'v had 2 wd fail at six months of age
havent had a problem with seagate or maxtor

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
I've always been a Seagate man, until they started having problems a few months ago. At the moment my main PC has two Western Digitals (a 320 and a 1TB), have to say, Western Digital has come a long way...they used to be one of the worst bloody drives you could buy (apart from Maxtor).

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
lol @ maxtor, mine used to fill up with bad sectors for no apparrent reason. I like seagate myself, but as you say western digital seems to be doin ok these days. So id say give the western digital ago(the price is right) and buy a seagate again later on when they sort themselves out after they find out maxtor is gay and close that part of the company down