Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Seal or rebuild sub box?

Matty081

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Does anyone have any tips on rebuilding it so it matches up alright nice and square? Mind you that was just a quick rush job, as I needed it to finish before the year.

Don't bother with all the blocks etc to get it square.
If the front back and sides are all cut square and joined flush it'll square itself up.

Sorry, my first comment was relying on the fact that the front face was not cut square but the joined sides were.

LOL Oh, another tip.. Stop stuffing around in class.
One of these takes about 1/2 hr to 1 hr start to finish (box fab) using nothing other then a powersaw, drill and jigsaw and forms of fastening.

Reaction score
Website
www.caraudiofactoryoutlet.com.au
Members Ride
VK BROCK Group "A"
Don't bother with all the blocks etc to get it square.
If the front back and sides are all cut square and joined flush it'll square itself up.

Sorry, my first comment was relying on the fact that the front face was not cut square but the joined sides were.

LOL Oh, another tip.. Stop stuffing around in class.
One of these takes about 1/2 hr to 1 hr start to finish (box fab) using nothing other then a powersaw, drill and jigsaw and forms of fastening.

Iam glad that you dont build our boxes if you think that they will square themselves......

you dont need the block though you do need a square and measure the diagonals..... and a bit more than screws to hold it square....epoxy is what you would be needing.

Otherwise it will vibrate itself apart and out of square etc....

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
Well I've decided to cut it down, it's gonna be way smaller, but at least the sub fits. No $$$ means no new wood. I expect the end box to be somewhere around the 500mmx275xwhatever

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VK BROCK Group "A"
Well I've decided to cut it down, it's gonna be way smaller, but at least the sub fits. No $$$ means no new wood. I expect the end box to be somewhere around the 500mmx275xwhatever

Matty, if you send through the measurement and the thickness of the MDF shall work out the cuft for you.

If you have dramas let me know and see if we can help.

Cheers...take your time and you will be fine.

matty88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Will it make any difference in sound and bass?

Seeing that the sub is free air, I guess the box will help it a bit. Ideally it should be bassy as subs are. I'm having cutting the wood square, even with a mitre saw with a laser! I'll sort that out later though. As I now know, a few mm can make all the difference!

Last edited:

matty88

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've decided that the box will be 265x500x340mm. Gives a total of 1.0995 cubic feet, the sub needs 1.5.

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VK BROCK Group "A"
I've decided that the box will be 265x500x340mm. Gives a total of 1.0995 cubic feet, the sub needs 1.5.

I personal would only go with your 1.09995 cuft. as the 1.5 will wash it out and cause a few issues with reverb of the sound wave from the rear/ box to the front/ cone of the sub.

though you choose.

matty88

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've changed the 265mm to 280mm, giving a total of 1.4cuft. I hope it is bassy!

matty88

Reaction score
Members Ride
haha I was getting disapointed when I wasn't getting square cuts, make sure the saw is square! a few degrees off made all the difference. Now I have one square side, will cut the rest when I can be bothered.