Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sealant for panel

MRoberts

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs series 2 ute
Just took the fuel tank out of the vs ute to change the fuel pump and decided to do a bit of a clean up while the tank is out. What is used as a sealer (product name) on the edge under the screws that tub floor/access panel sits on above the tank . I need to replace it , its worn away .Cheers
access panel.jpg

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I'd say that they probably used an Automotive product called "Prestik" which was made by "Bostik" but sadly is no longer available.

GMH were big users of that product over many years.

This is not to be confused with the current domestic product that Bostik have under the same name.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd clean it up and leave it. If you really want to seal it go to Bunnings and get self adhesive foam strip or thin door seal. I put mine back in without any. I think they used it on every tub panel. FIIK why, it makes the panels hard to remove as they stick on.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
But you don't want water getting down there and rusting the guts out of the lower area like it happened on all the pre HQ models.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Shouldn't rust out if you remove the bungs and leave them out. Its painted out with body deadening gear, which also helps.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange how water gets in between the steel and deadner. Best to avoid it getting there in the first instance.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
It is a butyl rubber tape that is stuck to it, so it can be removed and not permanent. It forms a skin and stays soft underneath.

Silicone sealer will be permanent and to get the panel up if needed will bend the **** out of it.

This is what the factory put on it, this type of tape but of course a bit thicker stuff.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BOLT-ON...ADLIGHTS-CAR-VAN-GARAGE-SEALANT-/251426750877

You could also use this, which is the same stuff just in a tube and a bit messy.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-400g-gun-grade-white-butylmastic-sealant_p1234707

Last edited:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep our resident googler has been hard at it again VT2Commie, under no circumstances would I use what he's suggesting. There are places for such products but not here in this case.

As such I totally agree with you that you want a product that's a non curing product and will separate easily if required.

The first link you put up is basically the original "Bostik Prestik" but by another manufacturer and is identically what GMH originally used in vehicle production for so many years.

MRoberts

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs series 2 ute
Thanks guys that's a heap of info , Im sure to find a solution in that. I think it is worth sealing good idea to seal cavities especially ones that only get a look in every 10 years or so . Be good to hinge the panel instead of screwing it in the spare area next to the tank would be a good place for a tool box or something , anyway work well cheers.