Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sealant for welch plugs

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
Thanks. I see a lot of conflicting information about the use of sockets to install welch plugs. Should i use a socket that fits inside the plug, or one that sits on the outside rim?

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
Thanks. I see a lot of conflicting information about the use of sockets to install welch plugs. Should i use a socket that fits inside the plug, or one that sits on the outside rim?

Inside the plug, but not so big as it sits in the middle of the plug and slops around, use one that is nearly as big of a diameter as the inside of the welsch plug, just make sure its not a tight fit cause when you bang it in the flared edges close up and it grabs on the socket due to crush and you will have a hard time getting it out if it jams up. If your socket has about 2 - 3mm of slop when inside the welsch plug you should be fine. Just dont use a realy small socket as you will damage the plug due to warpage and it will probably leak.

Most important thing is to make sure it goes in square to the block and not c0ck it.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
gm sealant , stag , silastic , 5 minute expoxy glue , used them all on welsh plugs never had a problem always clean the hole of the block with sand paper and thinners carby clean to remove any loose sealant from the last plug , always use brass welsh plugs .