Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sealing bolts on fuel tank

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
The fuel pump and sender is fitted to the side of the tank with micro-encapulated bolts. These are no longer available from Holden parts. I would guess that Loctite or Permatex purple could be used. That is the low-strength version for tiny bolts. However, the cure time is 24 hours at 22 Celcius.
Also does Loctite/Permatex resist the aromatics in petrol? Or is there some special gunk that is needed to seal threads on a petrol tank?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I've removed the sender unit a few times and never applied Loctite. Never had an issue. The gasket seals it fine.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
X2 with ephect. And no Loctite and Permatex is not resistant to petrol. Only thing I have come across that is resistant to petrol is JB Weld. But I would not use it on bolts as it is a hard glue.

BottleFedVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0L & 80 Series Landcruiser
Permatex aviation form a gasket #3 non hardening is not bothered by fuel oil or water.
If you want to make sure it is not going to leak, coat the gasket and the seat part of the threads on the bolts no more worries.

I hope that helps.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
You can get replacement gasket/bolts at Speeds Spares, dont think its too dear from memory either. If you're that keen. I've pulled mine out 3 times now and still using original gasket n a bit of loctite. No leaks so far.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
or we did after reinstalling the fuel sender was to put some fuel in and tip it up to see if it leaked did not use any loctite or gasket goo

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
X2 with ephect. And no Loctite and Permatex is not resistant to petrol. Only thing I have come across that is resistant to petrol is JB Weld. But I would not use it on bolts as it is a hard glue.
I found out from a boatie: the best thread sealer for tanks to use is "Aviation Form-a-Gasket". It resists petrol, but not ethanol.
Since I don't put E10 in a VS, I'll try it next time.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
just use a fibre washer under bolt head will be fine and stop any fuel that may get thru the threads