Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Searching for a ecotec complete engine

Ethanol225

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy berlina series 2
Hey guys, new here and also born after the ages of fourums so I have no clue what I’m doing so please if I post in the wrong place or break rules feel free to have a go. Anyway to the question at hand. I have an Ecotec that is seeming to be on its last legs, if I can’t get it sorted I will be needing a new engine. This is my first car and I have put a lot of work into the chassis and interior and am not keen on scrapping the car. So, my question is does anyone have an engine in or out of a car that they don’t need that is healthy and in Victoria. It would be great if somebody has a mildly built engine sitting on a stand in their shed because I will be building the engine since it allready has to come out. I have seen some complete engines on eBay and stuff for around the $500 mark but don’t know how much to trust a 150,000km engine sitting on the ground with “good compression” and “was out of a running car” so any help or offers would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!,

Ethan

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Go to a wrecker. Normally get three months warranty as well. $500 is pretty close to wrecker prices.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
the 150k k's is the hard part to believe but unless you want to spend the money on a reco engine the $500 isn't too bad a bet Ive been lucky a few times with cheap 2nd hand ecotecs. you could probably buy a vt for a $1000 and test drive it first to see if the engine is any good.

marty351

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl gemini
Test drive.

Have you ever watched a film called 'the big steal'.?

watch it and learn a thing or two.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Find a decent wreckers that will do 3 months warranty & have several in stock....get everything you need ready to go then buy engine couple days before you do swap.

Then that way if it's a dud or any issues arise still got some time on your hands.

Most buy engine,let sit for ages or take just as long to get car running but then too late out of warranty period if something does go wrong.