Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

seat belt wont un wind

kyl'svs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VS Berlina
i pulled my parcel shelf out and middel seat belt wound up and now it wont come un wound. how do u get it to come un wound?

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Cant remember exactly off the top of my head, but it has happened to me before. I remember right at the end of the seatbelt, where it connects to the roller, there are small plastic clips which break and cause the belt to jam. The fix is to pull the back seat out again so you have access to the seat belt. Pull the seat belt really hard and it should snap the little piece of plastic out of the way. Unroll the seatbelt all the way and break off any bits and pieces of plastic that may cause it to jam again. I can remember what the bits of plastic are, but I did decide that they were not critical to the operation of the seatbelt. I have done that to mine and they still work fine.

jazza21

Executive (Ex-Police)
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VS II Exec 1997
Before you go pulling it apart... Have you put the parcel shelf back in the car with the centre belt mechanism fitted?

There's a ball-bearing type weight inside all the seatbelt mechanisms which forces it to lock if it's not sitting at the right angle (eg this happens if you park on a steep incline). I think there's only a few degrees of free-play before the ball bearing shifts off the trigger and locks it up. I took mine out once and had to sit the mechanism on a bench and emulate the angle it was in the car before I could unwind the belt and reinstall it.

Hope this helps

kyl'svs

Reaction score
Members Ride
i cant put it back in because its wond all the way up the buckels almost at the roller.i will try sitting on a bench and see what happens

kyl'svs

Reaction score
Members Ride
i tried sitting it on the bench and changing the angel and it still wont come unwound is it possible to take the cover off the side and over-ride the locking mechanism some how

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
kyl'svs said:
i tried sitting it on the bench and changing the angel and it still wont come unwound is it possible to take the cover off the side and over-ride the locking mechanism some how
Legally you are not allowed to tamper or otherwise compromise their design....plus they're rivetted together and designed so if you pull them apart you will not be able to get them together again.
What you can try is to bolt it back in its normal position and then gently tap the body of the mechanism to loosen the ball enough to gently slide the belt out. If it wont fit back due to the buckle getting in the way then you could clamp it in a vice at the exact angle it is in the car and try that tapping/loosening. Good Luck.