Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Seat harness for off road use.

JACKO4590

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VX SS
Ok first of all. Burnout car that can’t be registered.

Ok so I’ll start with the current seat belts are frayed and very stiff to use. I do have a parts car with a set that’s slightly better but before I go and rip them out. I’d thought I would ask about an upgrade.

While using a 3/5 point harness are we allowed to have back seat passengers while doing track cruises ect. If not then the back seat will most likely come out then.

Also is a half roll cage required for seat harness and if not would the seat belt clips be the best spot to mount the shoulder straps too.

Now onto info regarding the side straps. If I read correctly I can bolt the door side into the pillar where the factory seat belt bolts into. But on the centre of the car side. Can I bolt it up to where the seat belt clip goes? I read people were saying about mounting it to the seat?

I can’t seem to find much info regarding installing them into commodores so before I go buying some I thought I would ask. Any advice will be great too.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
So my experience comes from drifting where I have a R33 Skyline, I have a RPM 6 point harness ($350ish from Revolution Racegear) and would recommend it to anyone doing any form of track work. I'd recommend a fixed back seat with provisions for the harness to pull through if you don't already. They're bloody comfy and keep you secure when you're going at it. Below is the only pic I can find that shows my setup, so the shoulder straps wrap around the cross bar of the cage. I'm sure you could secure it similarly to how I mount the straps through the floor but to work correctly they should be directly back from where they come through the seat at that height, which basically rules out running a back seat. Assuming you don't have one now, I'd be getting a bolt in 4 point cage with a harness bar in the main hoop, bit of safety and means the rear seat can be used as long as you can navigate through the cage. Should be $1500 or less easily, but depends how serious you want it. My 2 base straps are attached to eye bolts run through the floor with a base plate, as per the links below. Basically allowing the force to be spread over a larger area, the harness mentioned earlier comes with the eye bolts so I just needed 2 plates. The two side straps I have 2 more eye bolts which just pickup on the stock seat belt mounting holes. Hopefully commodore are the same, but yes that should be strong enough. Hopefully this helps.

http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au/?PCID=25878&PSO=245&PSID=9121340&PSV=Primary&CDO=
http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au/?PCID=25878&PSO=245&PSID=3241418000&PSV=Primary&CDO=

oMkrNlh.jpg