Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Seat Position

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
AS a regular road user I get to see a lot from the heights of the front seat of an ambulance. So I had a couple of queries that many of my colleagues talk about.

Why do many guys in cars they've done up or a jusr plain too for that matter,
have the seat so far back and the back of the seat angle down so far so they can hardly see over the dash?

I'm sure it can't be good for your back or even your car control. From a crash perspective, it actually casues you to submarine under the dash and makes you more likely to be trapped and fracture both your thighs.

Secondly what is the go with drving whilst leaning on your centre console? Do you all have scoliosis ( a medical condition with curvature of the spine)? It can't be too easy to control the car either.

Admittedly there seems to be connection with red car seat protectors and these positions, but it just doesn't seem the most practical nor safe way to sit in a car.

(No offence intended to don't arc up about it either)

Last edited:

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Stretcher Bearer said:
have the seat so far back and the back of the seat angle down so far so they can hardly see over the windscreen?

maybe so they can see through the windscreen:)

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
cos if they sit up properly you wouldn't be able to see their fully sik hat turned on an angle.

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
Stretcher... apparently your correct about red cars.... i seen in a survey a few years ago that people who buy red cars get more traffic offence tickets that drivers with other colours... i'm sure there are not more red cars on the road than other colours...

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
its cos red cars go faster ;)

90VN55

Reaction score
Members Ride
90 VN SS 5speed, '90 VN Calais 5speed
Stretcher Bearer said:
Secondly what is the go with drving whilst leaning on your centre console? Do you all have scoliosis ( a medical condition with curvature of the spine)
i have scolioses (but not bad) and i dont lean on my center console
have the seat so far back and the back of the seat angle down so far so they can hardly see over the dash?
my seat is right back cause i have long legs but the angle is almost straight up so i can reach the steering wheel

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
You can afford to have the seat back fully if you're in an auto. My ex gf used to put her seat back further from my driving position. She's 5'1 and I'm 5'7.. She used her toes to brake and accelerate..

For me I sit comfortably and can see the road, but I lean on my centre console or have my arm on the door trim.. Just how I drive.. I also have my steering wheel down as low as it goes..

Going from auto to manual is a bit of a shock though.. From fully back to fully forward..

Misaprop

black betty
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
i had my seat forward... then my friends told me that i sit to close and if i ever have a crash my knees will smack into the dashboard and shatter... i got scared so now i put it back further and i hope my seatbelt will keep me from breaking my knees! true story