Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Second gear flaring on change

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by daves8, May 8, 2019.

1. daves8

daves8 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V 6.0
    Think my box is on the way out, the revs flare changing from 1st to 2nd under light load (is ok under heavy throttle)

Given my car is tuned, is it fair to say Holden will say tough luck and not cover under warranty?

2. 07GTS

07GTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VEGTS BLOWN E85
    if its tuned then get the tuner to look at it as all that can be adjusted, if its fine under heavy load then it should be fixable, if it was failing it would be worse under more load

BlaserF3 likes this.
  3. snortings

snortings Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY15 SV6
    If all goes to bad, put the original tune back on it (if the tuner still has it) and then go to Holden. Not sure if they can tell the difference or not, I don't know much about tuning.

4. PeteSS

PeteSS Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series 2 SSV Redline
    Mine's been doing that from day 1. Sometimes does it from 2nd to 3rd as well. Only under light load. The retards at the dealership say there's nothing wrong.

Dave, check the fluid level. I know it's not easy to check on these things...

5. Smashfist

Smashfist Active Member

Members Ride:
    440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
    Sure can. When the tune is modified it flips some bits in the ECM, unless you reprogram it with TIS2WEB you can see. GM have a whole section in "how to spot modifications to the tune" under dealer bulletins these days.

snortings likes this.
  6. SS Flo Rida

SS Flo Rida Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series II SS W375
    Mine does as well when I decrease throttle when it goes into shift mode just before an upshift into 3rd. Did it almost from day dot. It had a fair bit of trans tuning done. Sounds like yours is doing the same possibly. Ive had a camaro deep pan and pick up installed made no difference. 3700 rpm stall and external cooler. No difference either. Last trans service i had them add an extra 250 ml of dex and it’d definately less frequent but still occurs sometimes. Seems to be related to tps and shift parameters but I wouldnt stress about the trans being stuffed its not uncommon in the trans