Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Second hand ECMs (ECU)

Discussion in 'VZ Holden Commodore (2004 - 2006)' started by Fu Manchu, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Fu Manchu

Fu Manchu Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Slug powered VZ, a VE Calais & your mum.
    Can they be reflashed and matched to another car?

If so, guessing it's the same procedure as fitting a new one?

2. 99notout

99notout Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Equip Wagon
    My understanding is you have to "de-link" them from the donor car first. Saying that, I would think someone with a good bench top setup should be able to do it off the car.

Fu Manchu likes this.
  3. Jolls

Jolls New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS Ute
    Purchased mine from LS Extreme and, touch wood, it has been configured with the data associated with the my VIN. Also bit the bullet and grabbed a Holden VCX Nano https://obd2australia.com.au/product/holden-tech-2-scan-tool-obd2/ in order to link it up to the BCM. (Sick of waiting for external assistance). From what I have seen during my research this tool with a TIS link from AC Delco could do the job.

Fu Manchu likes this.
  4. VECalaisV8Wagon

VECalaisV8Wagon Member

Members Ride:
    VE CalaisV Wagon
    Did you have to send yours to LSXtreme to get matched?

5. Jolls

Jolls New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS Ute
    Hi VE,
    No mate, all they required was the VIN. I assume they have the TIS access to reprogramme the ECU to the VIN specification. Took a bit of time for it to arrive but apart from that it was fine- I will be trying to link mine this afternoon with my new scan tool and TIS. I will let you know how I go.
    Cheers n Beers
    Jolls

VECalaisV8Wagon likes this.
  6. delcowizzid

delcowizzid on holiday

Members Ride:
    в∞ѕтεכ √&
    I send all my alloytec **** to Trevor at Holden diagnostics Ltd here in nz (hsv08) on here he links all the modules on his test bench and can do full sets of bcm pim pcm and brand new keyheads he did the modules in my drag car so it will start and run

7. Fu Manchu

Members Ride:
    Sorry, who was that you send it to?

8. Jolls

Jolls New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS Ute
    I don't want to hijack the thread but I said I would let you know how I went linking the ECM this afternoon. Complete disaster. For the life f me I couldn't get the VCX Nano to communicate with any module. Thought it was me stuffing the install (the guidelines are poor) so I did it a second time. After a couple of ghours smashing my head against a brick wall I contacted OBD2Australia; I was surprised by the initial response I received. After an hour and a half of watching the tech do his stuff remotely it still didnt work. An issue with the Tech2win and windows 10 (64 bit). The tech will provide an update to me via email when he has a solution.

Not a great start - but at least it wasn't my lack of knowledge that caused the issue, Looking forward to seeing what tomorrow brings.

Cheers n Beers
    Jolls

Lex likes this.
  9. Jolls

Jolls New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS Ute
    I loaded the software onto a Windows 7 machine and still can't communicate with the car. Looks like a dodgy VCX Nano. OBD2Australia have advised that they will provide a full refund including postage. Borrowing a Snapon Reader to check comms with the modules before I send it back.

10. Fu Manchu

Members Ride:
    You should be able to use the snapon reader to do the Reflash. I have the manual from snapon.

11. Jolls

Jolls New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS Ute
    Thanks Fu
    Does the manual provide a guide for linking the ECM/PIM for a 5.7L? I have been able to locate a guide for the V6 but nothing fir the LS.
    Cheers
    Jolls

12. Jolls

Jolls New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS Ute
    Hi Team,
    To update the story re the VCX Diag Nano. I tried it on a VE and worked an absolute treat. Still waiting on the Snapon Tool to check the ute but I am thinking the problem my be with the ute wiring loom and not the Nano. I will try to find a VZ to run it on as well to check my theory; maybe the VZ software is bad - a possibility I guess.

Here is the background info on the VZ. As you are aware from the discussion above I replaced the VZ ECM with a unit from LS Extreme that has been set up for the VIN associated with my ute (SS LS1 Manual with climate control). The ute powers up and shows very low fuel, abs fault, check engine and aribag fault. The climate control can be operated as can the radio, lights, power windows etc. So most of the computer systems appear to be functioning. I can't start the old girl as the replcement ECM has not been linked to the PIM. From my research most of the error codes being thrown are likely to be related to the linking issue. That is why I purchased the VCX Diag Nano with the 1997 to 2012 Holden Software setup.

The Nano simply shows all eighteen modules as not found. I can read voltages at the pins of the OBD2 port though. The harness looks OK in that it doesn't appear to have been cut and given that most of the electrical systems sort of function it is not the first item on my fault finding list. Any thoughts or theories?

Cheers
    Jolls

13. Lex

Lex Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
    Have you called LS Extreme & told them your problem?

14. Fu Manchu

Members Ride:
    Does the software from Envyous customs have those features to link ecm’s etc?

15. Jolls

Jolls New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS Ute
    Hi Fu
    Unfortuntately not - it can read and clear but not program or link modules.
    Cheers
    Jolls

16. Jolls

Jolls New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS Ute
    Hi Lex

A bit too early for that. I can't see any of the 18 modules so it isn't the ECM/PCM alone. I should have the Snapon scan tool this evening so we can check to see if it can communicate with anything. I may be off track (and would gladly be corrected) but if I understand it right the PCM and ECM are on a class 2 data circuit linked directly to the OBD2 port. Everything else is on a UART Serial Data Bus. The BCM appears to be the gateway and is shown as a normally open switch on one of the circuit diagrams. It also links to the PCM and ECM through the Powertrain Interface Module (PIM) that converts data to allow the BCM to commmunicate with them.

I disconnected the BCM completely from the ute this morning and turned the beasty on - the radio, lights and climate control system all powered on. That crushed my idea that the BCM must have been working to some capacity as they fired up without it. It also means that the PCX Nanao is likely to be working properly becase it could communicate with a VE.

My working theory is that the PCX Nano runs all of its communications through the BCM and if it has been damaged and the switch remains open then there is no communications to be had with the vehicle. I need to do some more research!

I wish I had stuck with my old FC. Grey Motor - fuel, spark and timing and she would run. Not as fast as an LS - but with a Crane Cam, extractors and twin strombergs she could crack 100 mph. With king pin steering and drums all round that was fast enough!

Cheers n Beers
    Jolls

Lex likes this.
  17. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    When you used it on the VE, were you using Tech2Win?

18. Jolls

Jolls New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS Ute
    Yes mate,
    Used Tech2Win on the VE - absolutely no problems.

19. Jolls

Jolls New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS Ute
    Hi all,

The Snapon tool accessed the BCM and could see most everything else; however, the cluster dropped off the face of the earth. While in the process of preparing to link the ECM the scantool came up with a boot error and would not run again. The owner advised that he has had problems with the Snapon Tool and that it would have to go back for repair. I feel really bad as he was doing me a favour and runs a workshop full time. The bottle of Beam won't compensate him for the lost revenue - although if it didn't brick on me it propbably would have happened on a job today. He will be back out in a couple of weeks after it is repaired to give it another crack.

We did get the radio up and running - didn't get the code sorted while we were experimenting so at least that is one step forward.

So Engine complete with new cam and MAFless OTRCAI, BCM can be accessed but cluster may have died. Radio is a goer but ECM not linked. The beast sits in the side paddock waiting for another day; will recover her back up to near the shed to fiddle with some of the cosmetic bits in the meantime. I may try to grab another BCM if I can just in case.

What a pile of frustration she is at the moment.

Cheers Jolls

Lex and Fu Manchu like this.