Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Second hand ECMs (ECU)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Can they be reflashed and matched to another car?

If so, guessing it's the same procedure as fitting a new one?

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
My understanding is you have to "de-link" them from the donor car first. Saying that, I would think someone with a good bench top setup should be able to do it off the car.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Purchased mine from LS Extreme and, touch wood, it has been configured with the data associated with the my VIN. Also bit the bullet and grabbed a Holden VCX Nano https://obd2australia.com.au/product/holden-tech-2-scan-tool-obd2/ in order to link it up to the BCM. (Sick of waiting for external assistance). From what I have seen during my research this tool with a TIS link from AC Delco could do the job.

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon
Purchased mine from LS Extreme and, touch wood, it has been configured with the data associated with the my VIN. Also bit the bullet and grabbed a Holden VCX Nano https://obd2australia.com.au/product/holden-tech-2-scan-tool-obd2/ in order to link it up to the BCM. (Sick of waiting for external assistance). From what I have seen during my research this tool with a TIS link from AC Delco could do the job.
Did you have to send yours to LSXtreme to get matched?

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi VE,
No mate, all they required was the VIN. I assume they have the TIS access to reprogramme the ECU to the VIN specification. Took a bit of time for it to arrive but apart from that it was fine- I will be trying to link mine this afternoon with my new scan tool and TIS. I will let you know how I go.
Cheers n Beers
Jolls

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
I send all my alloytec **** to Trevor at Holden diagnostics Ltd here in nz (hsv08) on here he links all the modules on his test bench and can do full sets of bcm pim pcm and brand new keyheads he did the modules in my drag car so it will start and run

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry, who was that you send it to?

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I don't want to hijack the thread but I said I would let you know how I went linking the ECM this afternoon. Complete disaster. For the life f me I couldn't get the VCX Nano to communicate with any module. Thought it was me stuffing the install (the guidelines are poor) so I did it a second time. After a couple of ghours smashing my head against a brick wall I contacted OBD2Australia; I was surprised by the initial response I received. After an hour and a half of watching the tech do his stuff remotely it still didnt work. An issue with the Tech2win and windows 10 (64 bit). The tech will provide an update to me via email when he has a solution.

Not a great start - but at least it wasn't my lack of knowledge that caused the issue, Looking forward to seeing what tomorrow brings.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I loaded the software onto a Windows 7 machine and still can't communicate with the car. Looks like a dodgy VCX Nano. OBD2Australia have advised that they will provide a full refund including postage. Borrowing a Snapon Reader to check comms with the modules before I send it back.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
You should be able to use the snapon reader to do the Reflash. I have the manual from snapon.