Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Second hand ECMs (ECU)

nielolee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Hi Team,
To update the story re the VCX Diag Nano. I tried it on a VE and worked an absolute treat. Still waiting on the Snapon Tool to check the ute but I am thinking the problem my be with the ute wiring loom and not the Nano. I will try to find a VZ to run it on as well to check my theory; maybe the VZ software is bad - a possibility I guess.

Here is the background info on the VZ. As you are aware from the discussion above I replaced the VZ ECM with a unit from LS Extreme that has been set up for the VIN associated with my ute (SS LS1 Manual with climate control). The ute powers up and shows very low fuel, abs fault, check engine and aribag fault. The climate control can be operated as can the radio, lights, power windows etc. So most of the computer systems appear to be functioning. I can't start the old girl as the replcement ECM has not been linked to the PIM. From my research most of the error codes being thrown are likely to be related to the linking issue. That is why I purchased the VCX Diag Nano with the 1997 to 2012 Holden Software setup.

The Nano simply shows all eighteen modules as not found. I can read voltages at the pins of the OBD2 port though. The harness looks OK in that it doesn't appear to have been cut and given that most of the electrical systems sort of function it is not the first item on my fault finding list. Any thoughts or theories?

Cheers
Jolls
I know this is a few years back now Jolls but did VCX Diag Nano end up working for you on the VZ ECM Linking, I was considering going down the path the Vident iLink400AU does not support ECM linking, I also noticed that obd2australia no longer sells the VCX Diag Nano so that also got me wondering.
Im in the same position as you were here, purchased a reset/remanufactured ECM that had my vin programmed in and all I need to do is Link it and Holden doesn't really want to touch it because it's deemed "secondhand" but reluctantly they have agreed to allocate 1 hour to have cracked and charge me labour $148.50 regardless of whether they are successful or not in the linking it..and only because I said it had been pre-configured to my current VIN, otherwise it was NO.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Have you had a look at the software diag package from Envyous Customs?

nielolee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
I browsed through it and appears mostly to be diagnostic and tuning, all the hardwaring programing (ECU linking) is done onsite, send your parts to them.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Jason is a wizz with doing that though.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6 Litre, VZ SV6
I know this is a few years back now Jolls but did VCX Diag Nano end up working for you on the VZ ECM Linking, I was considering going down the path the Vident iLink400AU does not support ECM linking, I also noticed that obd2australia no longer sells the VCX Diag Nano so that also got me wondering.
Im in the same position as you were here, purchased a reset/remanufactured ECM that had my vin programmed in and all I need to do is Link it and Holden doesn't really want to touch it because it's deemed "secondhand" but reluctantly they have agreed to allocate 1 hour to have cracked and charge me labour $148.50 regardless of whether they are successful or not in the linking it..and only because I said it had been pre-configured to my current VIN, otherwise it was NO.
Look up C&M Performance on Facebook. They do VZ ECM linking for $250