Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Second hand ECMs (ECU)

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
You should be able to use the snapon reader to do the Reflash. I have the manual from snapon.
Thanks Fu
Does the manual provide a guide for linking the ECM/PIM for a 5.7L? I have been able to locate a guide for the V6 but nothing fir the LS.
Cheers
Jolls

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I loaded the software onto a Windows 7 machine and still can't communicate with the car. Looks like a dodgy VCX Nano. OBD2Australia have advised that they will provide a full refund including postage. Borrowing a Snapon Reader to check comms with the modules before I send it back.

Hi Team,
To update the story re the VCX Diag Nano. I tried it on a VE and worked an absolute treat. Still waiting on the Snapon Tool to check the ute but I am thinking the problem my be with the ute wiring loom and not the Nano. I will try to find a VZ to run it on as well to check my theory; maybe the VZ software is bad - a possibility I guess.

Here is the background info on the VZ. As you are aware from the discussion above I replaced the VZ ECM with a unit from LS Extreme that has been set up for the VIN associated with my ute (SS LS1 Manual with climate control). The ute powers up and shows very low fuel, abs fault, check engine and aribag fault. The climate control can be operated as can the radio, lights, power windows etc. So most of the computer systems appear to be functioning. I can't start the old girl as the replcement ECM has not been linked to the PIM. From my research most of the error codes being thrown are likely to be related to the linking issue. That is why I purchased the VCX Diag Nano with the 1997 to 2012 Holden Software setup.

The Nano simply shows all eighteen modules as not found. I can read voltages at the pins of the OBD2 port though. The harness looks OK in that it doesn't appear to have been cut and given that most of the electrical systems sort of function it is not the first item on my fault finding list. Any thoughts or theories?

Cheers
Jolls

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Does the software from Envyous customs have those features to link ecm’s etc?

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Does the software from Envyous customs have those features to link ecm’s etc?

Hi Fu
Unfortuntately not - it can read and clear but not program or link modules.
Cheers
Jolls

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Have you called LS Extreme & told them your problem?

Hi Lex

A bit too early for that. I can't see any of the 18 modules so it isn't the ECM/PCM alone. I should have the Snapon scan tool this evening so we can check to see if it can communicate with anything. I may be off track (and would gladly be corrected) but if I understand it right the PCM and ECM are on a class 2 data circuit linked directly to the OBD2 port. Everything else is on a UART Serial Data Bus. The BCM appears to be the gateway and is shown as a normally open switch on one of the circuit diagrams. It also links to the PCM and ECM through the Powertrain Interface Module (PIM) that converts data to allow the BCM to commmunicate with them.

I disconnected the BCM completely from the ute this morning and turned the beasty on - the radio, lights and climate control system all powered on. That crushed my idea that the BCM must have been working to some capacity as they fired up without it. It also means that the PCX Nanao is likely to be working properly becase it could communicate with a VE.

My working theory is that the PCX Nano runs all of its communications through the BCM and if it has been damaged and the switch remains open then there is no communications to be had with the vehicle. I need to do some more research!

I wish I had stuck with my old FC. Grey Motor - fuel, spark and timing and she would run. Not as fast as an LS - but with a Crane Cam, extractors and twin strombergs she could crack 100 mph. With king pin steering and drums all round that was fast enough!

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
When you used it on the VE, were you using Tech2Win?

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Yes mate,
Used Tech2Win on the VE - absolutely no problems.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi all,

The Snapon tool accessed the BCM and could see most everything else; however, the cluster dropped off the face of the earth. While in the process of preparing to link the ECM the scantool came up with a boot error and would not run again. The owner advised that he has had problems with the Snapon Tool and that it would have to go back for repair. I feel really bad as he was doing me a favour and runs a workshop full time. The bottle of Beam won't compensate him for the lost revenue - although if it didn't brick on me it propbably would have happened on a job today. He will be back out in a couple of weeks after it is repaired to give it another crack.

We did get the radio up and running - didn't get the code sorted while we were experimenting so at least that is one step forward.

So Engine complete with new cam and MAFless OTRCAI, BCM can be accessed but cluster may have died. Radio is a goer but ECM not linked. The beast sits in the side paddock waiting for another day; will recover her back up to near the shed to fiddle with some of the cosmetic bits in the meantime. I may try to grab another BCM if I can just in case.

What a pile of frustration she is at the moment.

Cheers Jolls

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi all - I have to laugh - no use doing anything else. The Snapon Scan Tool I borrowed had the hard drive **** itself in the middle of the linking procedure. Still in being repaired at the moment. Cluster has reappeared - some magic dust I assume.
Cheers n Beers
Jolls