Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Second hand parts, supercharger or stroker?

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
I'm looking at more power for the ute, and I'm not really too keen to get a stroker built or to go to a performance shop and spend a lot of money on a supercharger package. I am considering buying good quality second hand gear, I have seen heaps of supercharger kits with little use on ebay and other forums, as well as some decend looking 355 stroker engines as well, all with minimal k'ms on them. I'm not after an engine with massive horsepower, I just want something that will do a quick quarter mile, hoping for around high 12's or low 13's, with the option to improve on that if money allows later down the track. Just wondering what people in the know would recommend. I have been researching roots style superchargers, such as the eaton and yella terra, because of their higher torque improvements over centrifugal chargers such as the raptor and vortech, they seem to be the best way to go if looking for bang for your buck, but I am open to all feedback and opinions. I'm not really looking to spend more than $6000-$7000. Thanks in advance.

VX_SS

SS_ASH
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss comodore
I'm looking at more power for the ute, and I'm not really too keen to get a stroker built or to go to a performance shop and spend a lot of money on a supercharger package. I am considering buying good quality second hand gear, I have seen heaps of supercharger kits with little use on ebay and other forums, as well as some decend looking 355 stroker engines as well, all with minimal k'ms on them. I'm not after an engine with massive horsepower, I just want something that will do a quick quarter mile, hoping for around high 12's or low 13's, with the option to improve on that if money allows later down the track. Just wondering what people in the know would recommend. I have been researching roots style superchargers, such as the eaton and yella terra, because of their higher torque improvements over centrifugal chargers such as the raptor and vortech, they seem to be the best way to go if looking for bang for your buck, but I am open to all feedback and opinions. I'm not really looking to spend more than $6000-$7000. Thanks in advance.

i take it your not going to be doing any work on it ya self ya gonna get some one else to do it?

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
No quite happy to do some of the work myself, I'm not a mechanic by any means but I am mechanically minded and ready to do some work to cut down on labour costs.

crewsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sierra
i think your best bet is to go with a roots style blower and you would be looking towards the 7k mark allowing for extra things that you never think of when first buying a kit. ill keep a look out too and then when u find the right kit ima be in your garage drinking beer with you, having a yarn and making her more fun all at the same time :w00t:

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
i think your best bet is to go with a roots style blower and you would be looking towards the 7k mark allowing for extra things that you never think of when first buying a kit. ill keep a look out too and then when u find the right kit ima be in your garage drinking beer with you, having a yarn and making her more fun all at the same time :w00t:

Yea well that's where my thoughts are heading at the moment, am actually considering the yella terra kit, but I'm just a bit unsure about the blower, and whether it will produce decent enough performance on the 5 litre compared with something like an eaton m112 or similar, have heard that the yella terra kit is almost at its limit with an engine of that size....

crewsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sierra
Yea well that's where my thoughts are heading at the moment, am actually considering the yella terra kit, but I'm just a bit unsure about the blower, and whether it will produce decent enough performance on the 5 litre compared with something like an eaton m112 or similar, have heard that the yella terra kit is almost at its limit with an engine of that size....

yeh i think its a bit small for a 5L definately worth going for an M112 or something bigger like that so you can run more boost later on if u want more power

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
Nobody else has any advice or opinions?

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 6l auto 239cam 3.9diff

ill second that boost is what you want nice and easy and you will get times you want too

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
Cheers eaton v8, I read that you custom made your own supercharger setup, the eaton m112 is a good blower, but the only place that I know of who stocks and installs it is MWS, and they are really expensive. I know you had a bit of help from other people on the forum with your setup, was it relatively straightforward? Is there a thread on your build or anything like that? Im curious to know what kind of power you are making as well....