Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Seized Brake Caliper Ve sv6 commodore 2010 model

HedgemasterMatty

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 holden VE commodore sv6 ute
Stick, are you saying the slides never need greasing on the VE??
My own.mechanic greased the slides but didnt seem to fix the issue. The true place never greased them. They also didnt tell me the old pads were worn un evenly until I returned the vehicle. Wish I never used tyrepower as I'd never had any brake issues. Just had worn pads. Only bought the car 2 weeks ago and have spent almost 4000 since. Don't buy cars from dealer called Olymax

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah like I said the bloke fitting the pads should have picked up on that it had a sticky piston. A decent mech can tell you, you have a sticky piston before they even remove the caliper.

HedgemasterMatty

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah like I said the bloke fitting the pads should have picked up on that it had a sticky piston. A decent mech can tell you, you have a sticky piston before they even remove the caliper.
They didnt pick up on it at tyrepower until I returned the vehicle. They had it on their hoist for almost an hour. And they then tried to charge me more for their screw up

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
i been doing my brakes for nearly 40 years both disc and drums when you undo the bolt lift up the caliper you check move the slide twist slide pin pull push it and make sure the rubber boot is not split and covers it
have a look at all the youtube vids on how to change ve brake pads but i know the pads have inner and outer and we have seen it on here there been stalled the wrong way and it is very easy to do if you are in a hurry or don t know

i got ve brakes on my vs ute the ve calipers have a metal shim insert the pad slide on and these are suppose to be replace too i had a problem where it wearing a groove in the driver side rotor i have a box of them (cheaper from repco) here so i just replace it with a new one

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/COMMODO...120092?hash=item4b60c5c19c:g:WSIAAOSw6JNckvqL

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have had sticky pistons before and the mech picked it up in just a 30min safety inspection. I don't get how a qualified mech's can make mistakes like that? I mean surely they would have done 100s of brake repairs. I have seen some dodgy **** down here in Tas and in SA. Makes me wonder how they just dodge it up and take your money and then accept no responsibility. How can these places even still be in business? I had a tyre and brake place in south of Adelaide try and tell me they could adjust the camber on an old Mini, I owned when I was 16. They even did the job while I was watching and charged me 35 bucks for the "alignment". I drove it out and went to a Mini expert who explained there is no adjustment. IMO surely after a four year apprenticeship and six months of trade school you would think they know their ****...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I grease my slides every time I change pads, whether they are free or not.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Stick, are you saying the slides never need greasing on the VE??

How urgent is the need to get it back on the road? You might find a reco caliper on eBay fairly cheap and that would be really easy to fit yourself. The dust seals can be a bit tricky to get in properly is all. You will need a seal pick to clean out the grooves where the seals seat in. Sometimes they get a small lump of rust in them and they push on the seal making it jam on or sometime stick in making the piston not come out as quickly as it should.

HedgemasterMatty

Reaction score
Members Ride
i been doing my brakes for nearly 40 years both disc and drums when you undo the bolt lift up the caliper you check move the slide twist slide pin pull push it and make sure the rubber boot is not split and covers it
have a look at all the youtube vids on how to change ve brake pads but i know the pads have inner and outer and we have seen it on here there been stalled the wrong way and it is very easy to do if you are in a hurry or don t know

i got ve brakes on my vs ute the ve calipers have a metal shim insert the pad slide on and these are suppose to be replace too i had a problem where it wearing a groove in the driver side rotor i have a box of them (cheaper from repco) here so i just replace it with a new one

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/COMMODO...120092?hash=item4b60c5c19c:g:WSIAAOSw6JNckvqL
Should I ask if they replaced it when they changed the rotor and pads or if they used the original.one from the old setup?? Maybe it's the shops mistake which is causing my wheels being completely locked up. When I have ute on hoist the wheel is locked tight, cant even budge it a mm

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
can you see the caliper through the wheel

Should I ask if they replaced it when they changed the rotor and pads or if they used the original.one from the old setup?? Maybe it's the shops mistake which is causing my wheels being completely locked up. When I have ute on hoist the wheel is locked tight, cant even budge it a mm

this a photo of a ve caliper pad installed correctly on ebay dont worry about the the models it fits one pin in the each arch
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FRONT-B...rentrq:a9dbcf771690a9c9a87ab313fff33b01|iid:1