Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Seized Brake Caliper Ve sv6 commodore 2010 model

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
script>

Attachments

• 20140422_092953.jpg
    20140422_092953.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 239

HedgemasterMatty

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 holden VE commodore sv6 ute
How urgent is the need to get it back on the road? You might find a reco caliper on eBay fairly cheap and that would be really easy to fit yourself. The dust seals can be a bit tricky to get in properly is all. You will need a seal pick to clean out the grooves where the seals seat in. Sometimes they get a small lump of rust in them and they push on the seal making it jam on or sometime stick in making the piston not come out as quickly as it should.
Buying a piston repair kit tomorrow and my mechanic is going to repair for me.

HedgemasterMatty

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I can see the caliper through the wheel though not sure what I'm looking for. Thankfully my mechanic said he will fix it tomorrow. Thanks for all your advice. He is also repairing my rear wheel bearing. Just sucks having to spend close to 4g on a car I've owned 2 weeks

HedgemasterMatty

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I can see the caliper through the wheel though not sure what I'm looking for. Thankfully my mechanic said he will fix it tomorrow. Thanks for all your advice. He is also repairing my rear wheel bearing. Just sucks having to spend close to 4g on a car I've owned 2 weeks
So I had a look at my calipers and the pad seemed to look different from 1 side to the other. So with the help of knowing it's a 12mm socket I removed the caliper and swapped the pads around. Qhen trying to put the caliper back on it didnt seem to tighten. Then I noticed the nut between where you put the pin in and the caliper spinning. Used a multi grip to hold it while i righted the bolt into caliper. It seems to have fixed the issue. Wheel isnt locked up anymore and the excessive heat from wheel has gone even after a long drive. Thank you all for your help. Really appreciate it and feel much more confident removing and replacing the caliper parts. I'm still going to use my caliper repair kit and I did notice the slightest amount of rust on the piston. I also think the reason my piston was sticking was the old pads were really worn and using the new pads the piston isnt coming out as far as it used to so may also have been the sticky reason. Seems to be ok for now. Thanks again.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have had sticky pistons before and the mech picked it up in just a 30min safety inspection. I don't get how a qualified mech's can make mistakes like that? I mean surely they would have done 100s of brake repairs. I have seen some dodgy **** down here in Tas and in SA. Makes me wonder how they just dodge it up and take your money and then accept no responsibility. How can these places even still be in business? I had a tyre and brake place in south of Adelaide try and tell me they could adjust the camber on an old Mini, I owned when I was 16. They even did the job while I was watching and charged me 35 bucks for the "alignment". I drove it out and went to a Mini expert who explained there is no adjustment. IMO surely after a four year apprenticeship and six months of trade school you would think they know their ****...

Yes, the place should have removed the caliper pin and greased it up, to make sure it didn't seize up.

As for camber adjustments.....I can tell you, there are plenty of cars out there that the manufacturer claim and experts with particular makes claim, there is no camber adjustment, but there is slight camber adjustment, by undoing the up right bolts and moving the stub axle inwards or outwards, depending on which way the camber needs to be.

IMA, the adjustment is only small, but sometimes it is enough to stop a drift and limit the wear....As for minis, I honestly can't remember if you can move the stub axle inwards or outwards to adjust camber....

HedgemasterMatty

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, the place should have removed the caliper pin and greased it up, to make sure it didn't seize up.

As for camber adjustments.....I can tell you, there are plenty of cars out there that the manufacturer claim and experts with particular makes claim, there is no camber adjustment, but there is slight camber adjustment, by undoing the up right bolts and moving the stub axle inwards or outwards, depending on which way the camber needs to be.

IMA, the adjustment is only small, but sometimes it is enough to stop a drift and limit the wear....As for minis, I honestly can't remember if you can move the stub axle inwards or outwards to adjust camber....
The front of my ve definitely has camber angle, the top of my wheel is slightly close to the car then the bottom. It steers so good

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Good outcome Hedgemaster. As for my old, old bus VC no there is no adjustments. The bushes were flogged out and possibly bent arms from a typical 16 year olds driving style. I fixed the issue myself by fitting a new subframe. I took it to the bloke down the road because after the alignment the wheels still had massive lean ins at the top. I scrubbed 2 tyres within 4 months.
Back to Hedgemaster that just shows again dodgy mechs, which shouldn't be. You train for four years so should know what you're doing by then. With that many VEs on the road they should have well known which way to fit the pads. Like i said how can a place make mistakes like this and still have customers?? I have seen bodgy work in a number of trades over my working life. Its almost like the old well trained tradesmen are becoming fewer and fewer and i mean that across most trades now, including food trades and building trades as well as mechanical trades. Unless i am mistaken and it has always been this way, dunno.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The front of my ve definitely has camber angle, the top of my wheel is slightly close to the car then the bottom. It steers so good

VE are camber adjustable from the factory....And yes, the top sits closer to the car than the bottom.

Some makes of cars the manufacturer and experts on them, claim there is no camber adjustment....However by undoing a couple of nuts and bolts, you can get a little bit of camber adjustment from them....I'm not talking huge amounts like you can with your VE (ie 1 degree or more), but 1/4 degree or less.....I won't go into everyone I can think of, but I will say, there are a fair few

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think my VR has a tiny bit of adjustment. I have no issues at all with tyres scrubbing which I love. Owned a E series Falcon once and i was lucky to get 25k before the tyres were knackered, even with regular alignments and rotation. I use a reputable place for regular alignments on the ute. We have only a few places in Launceston who you can trust to get it right. Tyrepower is funnily enough one to avoid.

Last edited: