Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

seized vr engine, will i be able to strip it down and rectify the problem

YILDI2

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
FG XR6 TURBO /RIP VT II LS1 Clubby, VR Commodore S
hi guys ive got a sezied vr engine
it will cost me $1200 for just labour for someone else doing the job + what ever it is that is stuffed in the engine

now ive never dissembled the engine before, but ive armed myself with a gregorys manual aswell, doesnt look too bad, im willing to give it a shot if it saves me money,

but i need to know what i have to llook for that could cause the engine to seize

Strip the engine and look for the damaged parts,probably main and big end bearings.They usually go first unless it gets heaps hot and lets go at high revs,then the pistons,rings, and the cylinder walls, all get damaged as well as the bearings.

what i want to know is are they the only parts that would cause an engine to seize maybe something in the top end could have aswell ??

just worried that i might not be able to find what is wrong because of the untrained eyes, but with pictures posted up and occasional help from JC i think i can pull it off

thanks

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
so do you know why it siezed?lots of useage or lack of fluids or anything like that? that way if you know what caused it you will have a better idea of what it was and know what to look for
because you mighten have to disassemble the whole thing it could just be something that you can do yourself without pulling the whold thing appart

YILDI2

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
luke23,
thats what im hoping for mate that it is something small and not complex,
im not sure why its sezied mate story is it got new head gaskets ( mls cometics ) then they put the engine back together was running, was driven round the block
couple times to, after i left it so that it could be tuned, the mech burnt the wires from the starter motor to the battery, probably cause the wires was touching the extractors, he was driving the car round that day
im thinking maybe he thrased it and because it was running lean it was working hotter then normal and he probably cooked something that day the b@stard,
bottom line im not sure over the phone the mechanic said for me to bring the car back and that he knew the problem was in the "heads" asif i would take it back.

also the weird thing is battery is 100% but headlights and dash light dont work ... stereo works though ..

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
yeah well mabey take it somewhere else and tell them pretty much what you told me and that the other machinic says its something to do with the heads and see what they have to say
and battery is 100% and the lights dont work, hmmmmm obviously some kind of wireing issue, because the lights probly still have power and still work but something in the dash is messed up so they dont know when to work (meaning when you turn your lights on they dont respond because of the connection) that could be a big job or something pretty small, could mabey be a fuse needing replace, or you might have to rip the whole dash opened and replace some stuff and find the issue

YILDI2

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
hmm, ive told another mechanic but they say they wont know until they start to dissemble the engine, ive been reading up on engine seizure, before when my stock head gaskets blew was because the car was running lean and needed a tune because the fuel pump had been changed, the mechs replaced my head gaskets with mls cometics which wont stuff up unless you melt them, and now that i think because the mech was trying to drive round in it, he probably ended up f#^king a piston this time as the head gaskets are bulit proof that pressure has to go somewhere else right ?
and seizure can also occur if the car has been lying round along time without use mine hadnt been turned on for 4-5 months because of the dodgy f'ing mechanic, but im thinking it was because the car was running lean + it was running hotter aswell so i think based on what ive studied on that problem will be in the bearings or the piston .... sighhhh very depressing

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
well looks like your car might be off the road for a while, but still dont get to depressed just yet, things mighten be as bad as they seem, and hopefully you have some other kind of transport, but if its not a holden its just not the same haha

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
I unseized one by repeatedly draining the oil and refilling while trying to start it in-between. Which was seized due to a lack of oil.

YILDI2

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
lucky mate, im pretty sure mine has suffecient oil since i serviced it before i gave it to the mechanic
im thinking its got to do with the piston im starting tommorrow to pull off everything wish me luck guys im going to be posting up pics

patskies

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 (vz monaro themed)
if u want to do it on the cheap then throw another motor in. if you were in north queensland i could give you a very good condition motor/gearbox/wiring harness and ecu all complete for $500 in tip top condition. took out out of a commo to put in a eh but decided against it

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Leaky head gasket causing hydraulic lock ?? Have you tried taking out the spark plugs and cranking it over ??