Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Selecting Rims to Fit VH Wagon

RoChester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
My 16X8's I can't find the offset, where the 16X7 factory wheels I can....This is why I posted up the measurement from the mount up face to the rear lip of my 16X8's as a reference
My 16X8's I can't find the offset, where the 16X7 factory wheels I can....This is why I posted up the measurement from the mount up face to the rear lip of my 16X8's as a reference
Just pulled a wheel off and checked it out, I think I've got it right.
The back space measured from the mounting surface of the rim to the inner rim edge is 5 1/2" and the rim is stamped 38P.
So with a 6" backspace, a bigger offset - say 48P and the diff being shortened about 12mm each side there's going to be plenty of room to go to a 245. Even just the diff shortened and backspace or offset looks like it will work..

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Yeah, but 48P is an offset, but not the backspace like you said. Just makes it more confusing.
So with a 6" backspace, a bigger offset - say 48P and the diff being shortened about 12mm each side there's going to be plenty of room to go to a 245.
Try not to use backspace and offset together, it will make things waaaay more complicated and doesn't help for offset (where does the front of the wheel sit in your question?). All you need to remember is that 48P means a +48 offset which moves the centreline of the wheel closer to the car, this is why offset is useless without the width as you have no frame of reference to where the edge of the wheel is.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Looking at the new V51 wheels available (does Simmons even have a site or is it just Tempe bringing them into the country? Seems they just have a FB page) the highest offset you'll get off the shelf of either the 15 or 17 is 8" or 10" +25.

Seems like they have a custom wheel barreling service, but are you looking to go wider than 8"?

Willtheyfit seems to be down at the moment, here are a couple of other good calculators that give you different aspects.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Just found out VN axels will go into a VL diff just have to get changed from 32 spline to 28 spline, that could save me a shitload on getting billet ones made up.
Helps talking to the right people...
Aren't VN axles are already 28 spline, with the regular VL diffs being 25 and the VLT being 28? Should just need to have the VN axles shortened and the right centre.

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Aren't VN axles are already 28 spline, with the regular VL diffs being 25 and the VLT being 28? Should just need to have the VN axles shortened and the right centre.
sure are, absolutely correct in what you said.
Rochester seems to be confused with all the stuff he is saying and beening told.
Seems funny he has a diff builder and an axle builder, maybe the diff builder told him that there might not be enough spline left over if he cut down the 28 spline VN axles for his shortened VL wagon diff, hence him mentioning the billet ones.

RoChester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
sure are, absolutely correct in what you said.
Rochester seems to be confused with all the stuff he is saying and beening told.
Seems funny he has a diff builder and an axle builder, maybe the diff builder told him that there might not be enough spline left over if he cut down the 28 spline VN axles for his shortened VL wagon diff, hence him mentioning the billet ones.
Yep, heads spinning and brains about to explode.

RoChester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
That could be correct mate, was talking to a sales bloke in at tyrepower this arvo about wheels and what the plans are, he said he has a VH SLE (showed me a pic) that he'd also put a VL diff in, but he definitely said he used VN axels that were 32 spline and got them changed to 28, runs 245 Mickey Thompsons at the track, 355 with a gas shot and hasn't busted an axel yet, I was cheerin cos I found a way out of paying for billet axels, maybe he also had it mixed up but will be exploring that option some more.

RoChester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Mines not a turbo diff, it's a 6cyl if that makes more sense ?

RoChester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Looking at the new V51 wheels available (does Simmons even have a site or is it just Tempe bringing them into the country? Seems they just have a FB page) the highest offset you'll get off the shelf of either the 15 or 17 is 8" or 10" +25.

Seems like they have a custom wheel barreling service, but are you looking to go wider than 8"?

Willtheyfit seems to be down at the moment, here are a couple of other good calculators that give you different aspects.
[/URL]
[/URL]
Theres definitely a Simmons Wheels site, got it up in front of me now....

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Never heard of a 32 spline BW78. VN-S live axle were all 28 spline to the best of my knowledge along with VL turbo & V8.