Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SELL,SELL,SELL after 1st March...SOLD,SOLD,SOLD?????

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
This is ridiculous advice. Nobody buys a car as an investment, hoping to profit when it comes time to sell.
Yes, no right minded individual buys a new motor vehicle thinking they’ll flip for a profit unless you are talking about exotic limited editions which many manufacturers are increasingly putting resale restrictions on such vehicles to inhibit exactly such an issue.
Most people buy cars as basic transport to get from a to b. For someone who has a new or near new mainstream Holden, the worst thing they can do is sell it now, as at this point they will be taking the biggest depreciation hit. They are better off keeping it for 5-10 years and getting the most use out of it they can.
Though this may be true for some who keep their cars for as long as possible, it’s not true of all. Many people change cars every few years via salary sacrifice and vehicle leasing... that way they have the latest while keeping depreciation known and manageable while using our tax system to reduce their private loss... it’s your tax system at work...

For those type, selling now (if there lease allows) and getting into some other brand may be more appealing. It means they cut their losses and take a known depreciation hit rather than wait a few more years and have an unknow hanging over them...

Horses for courses :rolleyes:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Yes I missed that bit, so then why do you completely contradict yourself within a couple of paragraphs?

There are 2 scenarios at play with one being the trash cars holden sells like barina,arcadia,colorado which will devalue hard.

The other scenario being all the talk about holdens value skyrocketing which is pretty much a select number of commodores and that increase taking many years.

You wont see a sv6 gain value but a director,mse or hsv will probably see a gain in the comming decades.

The trash holdens are the ones you get rid of today or drive them for as long as possible.

The limited commodores you store away if you want a financial gain in x years.
If you are not looking for a gain in x years you drive it or sell it.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Are we agreeing that if you have an imported late model Holden, the value and re-sale potential are now in the toilet. ?
And if you have an Oz made Holden that is a V8, or a bit 'different' there will be a short term speculation gain, trailing off to a reasonable depreciation rate, then later, in the toilet when people forget what a Holden was.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I suppose my car is one of the "trash" Holdens, being a 2015 Captiva 5, the smaller Opel model we purchased new almost five years ago.
At the time, the car didn't have a planned ownership period, we just purchased it new because the price and options were right. With the impending death of the brand, we've decided to keep it for another 4 to 5 years, by which time it will have around 240k on the click and won't be worth much more than 2k at best. If it continues to be as reliable and economical as it has been so far, it's depreciation will total around 24k over 9 to 10 years. That's depreciation I can live with.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
As saddened as I am that Holden history is coming to an end, i was far more aggrieved when it was announced a few years back that Aussie car manufacturing was coming to an end.

Stuff any concerns of depreciation....

In 2016, I deliberately bought a VF2 Holden ute (SV6 because I didn’t want the expense of running 2 V8s) because it was obvious that sedan based utes were coming to an end. No way would I trade it for a twin cab etc because it’s a joy to drive yet still handy for dump runs, weekends away etc.

In 2017 I deliberately bought a V8 Holden wagon because it was obvious that affordable V8 wagons were also to be a thing of the past.

I don’t expect either of these to appreciate in value but they will always be worth more to me than any alternatives. Each sees less than 10k kms per year, both are looked after to the extreme but neither are garage queens. When purchasing these I couldn’t foresee anything coming to the market that I would prefer and a few years down the track this is still the case.

Like many of you, I couldn’t wait for the spy shots of the next Aussie Commodore and saved money in other areas to update every two and a half to three and a half years. This keenness dissipated overnight with the end of Aussie car manufacturing.

In 10yrs time, barring the unforeseen, both vehicles will probably still have less than 120-130k on the clock and by then if not before, I expect to be delving into retirement investments to buy an electric ‘appliance’ to get from A to B.

As for the ute and wagon I would expect them both to still be in great condition for their age, not necessarily worth more than a few hundred each by which time I would be far happier to store them rather than sell/scrap and should petrol still be readily available, will proudly drive them on special occasions.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I suppose my car is one of the "trash" Holdens, being a 2015 Captiva 5, the smaller Opel model we purchased new almost five years ago.
At the time, the car didn't have a planned ownership period, we just purchased it new because the price and options were right. With the impending death of the brand, we've decided to keep it for another 4 to 5 years, by which time it will have around 240k on the click and won't be worth much more than 2k at best. If it continues to be as reliable and economical as it has been so far, it's depreciation will total around 24k over 9 to 10 years. That's depreciation I can live with.

Well thats the idea...
Because it is 5 years old you probably wouldnt get much for it so driving it into the ground will maximize the value of that purchase.
I am in the same boat with a colorado, it is a 2015 and probably worth 25k so i will have to just get the most out of it.

I guess time will tell with how low the prices get and will people even want to buy a second hand vehicle from a manufacturer that does not exist opposed to a vehicle with one that does exist and i think that will scare alot of average car buyers into avoiding holdens which will further deprecate them.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Stooge
Good point about potential buyers in five years time. Real Holdens will always find buyers but the fakes like mine will probably be very, very hard to sell, which could mean even lower trade ins.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
As saddened as I am that Holden history is coming to an end, i was far more aggrieved when it was announced a few years back that Aussie car manufacturing was coming to an end.

Stuff any concerns of depreciation....

In 2016, I deliberately bought a VF2 Holden ute (SV6 because I didn’t want the expense of running 2 V8s) because it was obvious that sedan based utes were coming to an end. No way would I trade it for a twin cab etc because it’s a joy to drive yet still handy for dump runs, weekends away etc.

In 2017 I deliberately bought a V8 Holden wagon because it was obvious that affordable V8 wagons were also to be a thing of the past.

I don’t expect either of these to appreciate in value but they will always be worth more to me than any alternatives. Each sees less than 10k kms per year, both are looked after to the extreme but neither are garage queens. When purchasing these I couldn’t foresee anything coming to the market that I would prefer and a few years down the track this is still the case.

Like many of you, I couldn’t wait for the spy shots of the next Aussie Commodore and saved money in other areas to update every two and a half to three and a half years. This keenness dissipated overnight with the end of Aussie car manufacturing.

In 10yrs time, barring the unforeseen, both vehicles will probably still have less than 120-130k on the clock and by then if not before, I expect to be delving into retirement investments to buy an electric ‘appliance’ to get from A to B.

As for the ute and wagon I would expect them both to still be in great condition for their age, not necessarily worth more than a few hundred each by which time I would be far happier to store them rather than sell/scrap and should petrol still be readily available, will proudly drive them on special occasions.

I have 3 Zeta platform (V8) utes.
As long as I can get fuel, I hope to keep at least one on the road to enjoy.