Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Seppos have finally noticed Holden's woes

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
it would almost seem like sacrilage to have another Chinese ownership of Australian "property

I agree, however given the rate of knots at which we are selling everything else to the Chinese, I fear the day might come that the Holden name is also sold.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
They own more than we like to think about, real estate, cattle stations, cotton farms and their water, some ex-pollies.

Holden, 霍尔登 Huò ěr dēng …… with a rion with his paw on a wok.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
New model names. Holden Rik Shor SS, Long Dong LWB wagon, the We Suk 2 cylinder econobox, the new ute, called Yobbo and the LWB luxury model, the Heavenly Starburst. Great sales guaranteed.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
New model names. Holden Rik Shor SS, Long Dong LWB wagon, the We Suk 2 cylinder econobox, the new ute, called Yobbo and the LWB luxury model, the Heavenly Starburst. Great sales guaranteed.

You missed your calling Cal.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I strongly feel that GM will never actually sell the Holden name as they'd prefer to Kill it just like the Pontiac name as they don't want it used against them locally, taking on board that they were happy to sell Vauxhall, Opel, SAAB, Hummer, those last 4 names were just acquisitions and then resales while Pontiac and Holden have a good GM based history behind them.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
^^^ I must have been somewhere else as I don't remember the above scenario.
But I do remember the 'V8s till 98' publicity which had nothing to do with Gov or police, but more as a result of Holden's initial reluctance to spend money to emission comply the 5.0 litre. This only happened thanks to the Fed Gov tipping buckets of taxpayers money into Holden, (and Ford, Mitsi, Toyota, and Nissan.)
I also remember the 'Button plan' which maybe looked good on paper, and was the first nail in the local manufacturing coffin. (Thanks ALP.)
And, now FTAs with just about every country in the world except Antarctica to screw us. (Thanks ALP and Libs.)
the emmision regulations had a motive, they were in some way also unfair as massive amounts of money was needed to continue to comply with regulations as you stated that would eventually have the possibility to close the manufacturer. It isn't the manufacturer's fault if they cant afford to continue production under a dictating government, holden missed out on funding for some years as it went to Ford and Asian imports. The tax funds you refere to
could possibly have been generated by means of new car sales etc. I'm not certain but 30% could possibly be dropped onto the price of a new car by the government, so yeah l agree the gov should have supported research and development creating avenues of employment within the auto industry and the ability for Holden for example to manufacture cars catered for its custmers needs and taste not for what vehicle is deemed nessesary by the government and police.