Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Serial data connector (aldl)

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman, 2013 VE II SV6 Thunder Ute.
Hi guys, ive been trying to troubleshoot my aldl connector as to why its not working with another member on this forum and i still haven't been able to get it working. things that have been suggested.

- test for 12v between pin 5 and 16 (pass)
- test that the CEL is working by shorting out pins 5 and 6 (pass)
- test for continuity between terminal A3 on pcm with battery disconnected. (red/black stripe) and pin 9 on connector (fail)

i know for a fact that the ALDL cable that i am using works for a fact because i am able to use it on other cars (mums VX, dads WH, mates VS ute)

not sure how to check this one out. it seems that pin 9 is not delivering any data. Are there any further tests that i can do?

also when i plug my cable into the pc, tunerpro RT picks it up and says the interface is fine. as soon as i plug it into the car, the program no longer detects the cable. is there possible a short somewhere ? any help would be highly appreciated! :)

keen on getting this working so that i can see what the car is doing as i suspect that my O2 sensors are making the car run rich.

phonedawgz

Reaction score
Members Ride
leather
"also when i plug my cable into the pc, tunerpro RT picks it up and says the interface is fine. as soon as i plug it into the car, the program no longer detects the cable."

Yes that is normal. The cable needs to be unplugged from the vehicle when preforming the cable test.

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
it doesnt behave like this on another vs.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
get hold of a DLC connector from the wreckers. and some small male spade terminals that'll fit the engine harness plug (may need some good sidecutters to snip the edge off to fit the plug) or simply tin the ends of the wire with some solder so you can plug them in.
unplug the white connector between the engine harness and the dash harness.
connect the white/black and red/black wires of the DLC (pin 6 & 9) to the appropriate wires on the engine harness plug.
ground the black wire of the DLC (pin 5) to the cars chassis or another good earth.
feed +12V to the pink wire on the engine harness plug (and possibly pin 16 on the DLC)

no need to start the engine (bit more work involved in that), see if it communicates, if it does then it rules out a fault with the pcm/ecu and there is a problem elsewhere on the serial data line
if you still can't connect and talk to it then try another ecu.

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
get hold of a DLC connector from the wreckers. and some small male spade terminals that'll fit the engine harness plug (may need some good sidecutters to snip the edge off to fit the plug) or simply tin the ends of the wire with some solder so you can plug them in.
unplug the white connector between the engine harness and the dash harness.
connect the white/black and red/black wires of the DLC (pin 6 & 9) to the appropriate wires on the engine harness plug.
ground the black wire of the DLC (pin 5) to the cars chassis or another good earth.
feed +12V to the pink wire on the engine harness plug (and possibly pin 16 on the DLC)

no need to start the engine (bit more work involved in that), see if it communicates, if it does then it rules out a fault with the pcm/ecu and there is a problem elsewhere on the serial data line
if you still can't connect and talk to it then try another ecu.

Great info yet again Jxw. Where is the harness between the engine and dash?

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
about 6 inches from the ecu, only white plug from the engine harness to the dash.

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Great info yet again Jxw. Where is the harness between the engine and dash?

Cheers

Is it true that the ecu and bcm are linked together? Or can I just rip another one our of another car? How does it affect my lpg? Would I need to just swap the memcal over?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
not linked in a vs, all the ecu/pcm cares about is that it gets the go signal from the bcm and the keyfob.
no need to swap memcal, just match the number on the ecu/pcm and make sure you use an auto or manual pcm to try that matches yours.

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
not linked in a vs, all the ecu/pcm cares about is that it gets the go signal from the bcm and the keyfob.
no need to swap memcal, just match the number on the ecu/pcm and make sure you use an auto or manual pcm to try that matches yours.

Sweet thanks for that! Looks like I know what I'm going to be doing on the weekend. If there are any tips or hints that you think of, please let me know :) I owe you heaps!

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
had a look today near the pcm, couldnt find any white connectors in that area or any plugs. perhaps its tucked away somewhere or i was looking in the wrong spot :/
ive grabbed a spare dlc connector from the wreckers today, just wanted to look at the connector so that i can match up the appropriate sized terminals. Also, when its all hooked up, do i connect my cable as normal, turn on ignition (with car off) and try to connect to it as usual and see if it does establish any sort of communication( i dont expect any data at this point)

if it doesnt communicate then it must be the pcm as you said. Just a bit lost with that harness you spoke about at the moment.