Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Series 1 or 2 SV6?

Walshy227

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VU S Ute
Hi guys,

I am looking at upgrading my VU ute to a VE SV6 sedan, not looking for an SS.

I can't pick between the series 1 (MY9.5 SIDI at a minimum) or the series 2 with a manual. From the exterior, the series 2 does look that little bit nicer and it's leaps and bounds ahead on the interior. But the price gap is so much between the two.

Can anyone tell me whether they think the series 2 is worth the extra money? I know that you can upgrade the dash to have the IQ system so would it be cheaper to do that?

Also, with the series 2 IQ system, what features does it have? I'm under the impression only some models come with sat nav and Bluetooth audio? Could someone clear that up for me? I've also heard the touchscreen is disabled whilst driving, is that true?

Anyway, what other differences are there between series 1 and series 2 VE? Anything mechanical?

Thanks

Xageer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY11 Series II SV6 Manual
yeh sat nav isnt standard on a series II, the nav and map buttons but they will come up with a message saying sat nav not installed if it wasnt optioned. bluetooth I believe is standard on all cars. touch screen works while driving fine, what doesnt work is the DVD player.

only mechanical difference is the SV6 manual has an LSD, which I don't think the series I got as standard.

Walshy227

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VU S Ute
yeh sat nav isnt standard on a series II, the nav and map buttons but they will come up with a message saying sat nav not installed if it wasnt optioned. bluetooth I believe is standard on all cars. touch screen works while driving fine, what doesnt work is the DVD player.

only mechanical difference is the SV6 manual has an LSD, which I don't think the series I got as standard.

Thanks for that. So if I'm looking for sat nav, I'll just have to look for ones that specify it was chosen as an option?

What about a reversing camera, were they an option or standard?

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Thanks for that. So if I'm looking for sat nav, I'll just have to look for ones that specify it was chosen as an option?

What about a reversing camera, were they an option or standard?

You can fit a reversing camera and sat nav after you get the head unit re programmed.
you may however be better off buying a unit from a hsv which generally comes with those extras they are around 900 dollars from memory at the wreckers and you will still have to have it set up to work with your car. cost of the set up around 100 dollars or generally less if you dont go to holden.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Just buy a navman . Map updates are expensive for the sat nav. Certain functions on the touch screen can be disabled so they cant be used when driving . Reverse camera was an option . The IQ system in the SV6 has CD USBr and Ipod connection and you can also save some of your fav cds to the IQs hard drive.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I'd prefer a series II myself, apart from the dash, the seriesII SV6 also has the SS type seats. As you mentioned Satnav and camera I'd look for one that has it (they were optional). I'd go SIDI minimum as you already planned in any case. Above probably all else you want good service history in these V6's, poorly serviced V6's can be a very bad purchasing decision.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Just buy a navman . Map updates are expensive for the sat nav.

Dayvo is on the money about $160 for new updates you have to buy a new SD card.

I`ll say this again if I knew I had to pay for so much for updates I wouldn`t got it.
Had a great TOMTOM lifetime updates.

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Seriously look at avoiding the series 1.
Holden are and were well aware of the problem associated with the timing chain and this model and weren't prepared to do anything until people complained and pushed for warranty
It now seems that there are also problems with the series 2 as well if the servicing has not been completed in a timely manner, it appears sludge builds up blocking the oil ways around the timing chain, a problem caused by the re circulation system with the "fix" apparently to fit a "catch can", it is also contributed to the sidi injection system not splashing fuel onto the valves like the older injection system.

the 15 thousand klm servicing is questionable with many people and rule of thumb is it should not go past 10,00 klms without the oil and filter being changed to ensure the engine stays fresh.
The size of the oil filter in my view is ridiculously small to expect it to keep and engine clean for 15000 klms, but just my opinion.

So before purchasing one check the service history and if possible get the previous owners name from the hand book and phone him regarding service intervals and anything else relevant with the vehicle.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
7500klms oil change here