Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

series 1 or 2

craig vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5LTR
maybe a silly question but how do you tell between a series 1 and a series 2 motor from a vn - vp, is there any visual difference that i can look for, cheers craig, gonna put a v6 into my 2wd hilux be way cheaper on rego for me here in nz, cost us $600 to rego for a year then road tax as well

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Series 1 = the top radiator hose goes to the back of the manifold.
Series 2 = the top radiator hose goes to the front of the manifold.

LordMayhem

Here For A Good Time!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
both as good as each other in my opinion just the series 2 motor is easier to change the thermostat on with it being at the front of the manifold

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
First up there is no series 1 or 2 in a VN. There were loads of running changes with these motors, things like valve gear etc. So if you get a 1988 motor and a 1990 both with the thermostat at the back they won't be the same inside. The earlier ones had the thermostat at the back but that is not the only difference. The earlier ones will if not worn out be a bit punchier off the mark as they have a bit more low down so I am led to believe.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
As above, "S1" motor as some call it is what I had in my 88 Calais, more torque down low than any other stock Buick or Ecotec I have ever driven.