Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Series 1 VE centre stereo display

IsaacSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
48910026-294F-4130-9155-A5F02BC2CE1C.jpeg
48910026-294F-4130-9155-A5F02BC2CE1C.jpeg
Recently I purchased a ssv stereo for my sv6 and the place I got it from said that the top display would shut off when it swapped over but I could take the car to holden and they could switch it back on for me. Took it to them the other day and they said they couldn’t because of the locked VINs and **** but I’m not sure if I trust that answer or not, just want to know if their is a way it can be turned on and where I can get it done. Near Penrith NSW region but willing to travel around city area

Thanks guys :)

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Also a standard usb OBD2 device isnt going to communicate with the headunit at all since it doesnt communicate over the standard CAN communication gateway, only the ECU for engine data can use an OBD2 elm device. Youll need something to jump onto the sw can bus.

Just a heads up on the work involved in reprogramming a head unit. Not only do you need programming knowledge, you also need full understand the CAN protocol, how to interpret messages, how to filter messages, and to inject custom frames etc.. On top of that you will also need to know the unlocking algorithm to be able to change/write any information to the head unit.
Its kinder like with tuning a ECU I guess, cant do anything unless you have reverse engineered the device and know the password combinations to unlock it, huge amount of time goes into that.

The new screen has to be recoded to your vehicles VIN etc. Holden can do this and there are probably other as well. So they not pulling your leg.

Last edited:

IsaacSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Also a standard usb OBD2 device isnt going to communicate with the headunit at all since it doesnt communicate over the standard CAN communication gateway, only the ECU for engine data can use an OBD2 elm device. Youll need something to jump onto the sw can bus.

Just a heads up on the work involved in reprogramming a head unit. Not only do you need programming knowledge, you also need full understand the CAN protocol, how to interpret messages, how to filter messages, and to inject custom frames etc.. On top of that you will also need to know the unlocking algorithm to be able to change/write any information to the head unit.
Its kinder like with tuning a ECU I guess, cant do anything unless you have reverse engineered the device and know the password combinations to unlock it, huge amount of time goes into that.

The new screen has to be recoded to your vehicles VIN etc. Holden can do this and there are probably other as well. So they not pulling your leg.

So holden CAN do it, when I went in yesterday the guy said they can’t which didn’t seem very right to me. May have to go back and ask another’s person haha, thanks for your help

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The person you need to get in touch with is Envyous Customs.
They are forum sponsors.
It may involve removing the headunit from the car again and sending over for reprogramming. He can make it do a bunch of things where possible as well.

You don't need to go to Holden to have a headunit reflashed with the correct VIN.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Envyous Customs will set you right, he knows his stuff.

IsaacSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Envyous Customs will set you right, he knows his stuff.

It’s funny because that’s where I purchased the headunit from HAHAHAHAHAHA

The top display being black isn’t related to stereo it’s related to the cars ECU, they told me I gotta get holden to switch the display mode but honestly talking to the holden service is a real hassle and I had this one dude snob me off as if he was 100% confident in his answer but I could tell he wasn’t

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Try a different dealer, some are a lot more 'switched on' than others.