Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

series 1 ve ss diff problem

lowss

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss
Hi
Got a ve ss. Fairly standard motor just exhaust. However has pedders coilys and 22s. It is low. As in the rear tucks rim. Problem I am having is since being lowered when I go up kerbs due to the coilovers it will lift a wheel off the ground. It has now developed a clunk in the diff like it feels like the lsd is locking up. Only when cornering and more prominent when turning left. I am assuming because when it does 3 wheel it is usually turning left. The car doesnt get flogged or anything vut has just started happening.
Wondering if it may be a problem with the computer spasing out when it lifts the rear wheel. Would a reset solve the problem?
Cheers chris

RoaringSky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 Manual Sedan
I doubt an ECU reset would solve a mechanical problem as such.

Sounds like your suspension travel is limited and when one of the rear wheel lifts up, LSD kicks in, is that right? If that's the case then just take it easy when mounting a drive way on an angle.

Get it on the hoist and check the struts and the control arm bushes all round. And sway bar links too. One of the rubbers could be perished.

lowss

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss
Has started doing it when I drive on flat ground. Ill check the rubbers in the soming days and see if thats a problem. Has gotten worse since I ventured on a road trip with a full car load anf luggage. Could it possibly be a cv? It does it both corners and never if its a straight line though. This is my first commodore so I am unsure.

RoaringSky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 Manual Sedan
If it clunks when turning both directions but not on a straight road, then it sounds like a internal diff prob. Spider gears, diff centre etc. You really need to put it on a hoise/stands asap and spin 1 of the rear wheel and listen for clunks. Then check all the bushes and rubbers.

lowss

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss
So got underneath it and gave it a quick look over. All the bushes look good. Wheels spun with no clunks however there seems to be alot of play through the tail shaft. Like it will turn a bit over a quarter revolution before it wil lock up? Cv joints on the tailshaft?