Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Series 1 VE Stereo Aftermarket + Factory ?

Morgazmo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2010 Sportwagon
Hi guys.

Just had this idea the other day, when trying to imagine what I want to do with my VE Audio. I am trying to keep everything stock (ie avoid cutting, gouging and aftermarket parts).. But am not happy with the stock speakers, or the specs from the factory unit. I was just curious whether anyone has installed an aftermarket unit into the space below the factory unit, would a single din unit fit without too much cursing? Attached an image to show what I mean as I usually explain things poorly.

XZIIYQs.jpg

Can this, or has this been done? I'd still like to be able to use the steering wheel controls as much as possible.. But realize that an aftermarket unit with bluetooth will bypass the car controls.. Then the volume etc won't mean much unless it is radio or cd, routed through the auxillary on the aftermarket, which requires LOCs and is sorta what I am trying to avoid.

Otherwise I have spare amps and subs etc.. I can use LOCs to put a removable sub box in the back of the wagon, but I still gotta do something about the mids. I can replace the stock speakers with some JBLs, but I'll probably still need to amplify the head unit output to get halfway decent sound. Rather than using LOCs, amps, fuses and and wiring.. Will I spend roughly the same on a half decent head unit and then supplement it with some new speakers?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I'd use a processor with high level inputs, that still retains the factory volume control, and upgrade the system around it from there.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I second that idea.

The factory h/u has the capability for most needs. The LOCs contained within an external processor/equalizer are of much higher quality than your typical $30 unit. Plus its designed to handle higher inputs as it doesnt load down the h/u amplifier as much.

First thing off the top of my head is the Rockford Fosgate 3sixty. I'm not personally recommending this unit but it would do what you want and there are many more brands out there that are similar products

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
3 sixty.3 is supposedly very good, Alpines 660 get's good reviews too. You've got others like the Audison, but they come with a seperate little unit that you mount on the dash, which does volume, menu ect. The display is really small and i've never been a fan (yes sound quality is good) but if you going to retain the factory unit you may aswell use it to control the system.

Not sure on the 3sixty, but the Alpine has a remote control, you can use it to switch between different listening points. For e.g if you placed the mic in the drivers seat this would be preset 1, the time correction would be setup for the drivers listening. But if you have a passenger and you don't want it sounding all out of whack for them, you can have another preset with the mic placed somewhere else such as in the middle. Same goes for showing off you can time allign for a passenger too, kinda cool.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Also many of the better options allow for adjustments via usb or proprietary laptop cable.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
wont make comment on what these guys have said (left me behind a bit) but if you try and install a head unit where you have it marked you will meed to remove or cut out the rear air vent tube that runs underneath it, mates son just bought ve with this done and previous owner removed headunit etc but didnt fix this up. it still has this in the ute but it wouldnt matter as no-one sits behind the seats,(not sure if they have vents out the back to help with air circulation)