Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

series II engine to replace series I?? few questions?

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN series II custom :) and VZ exec
hey there everyone, im currently rebuilding a series II VR V6 and im thinkin of getting an auto and putting it into my VN which is currently running a series I manual, just wondering what mods i would have to do to make the VR V6 and auto fit? if any? also will the manual ecu be alright to run the auto V6? and also can i put a series I coilpack and module on the series II motor? any other problems i will runn into?
anyone ever put a series one inlet manifold onto a series II motor? would it fit or not?
Cheers, nick

YSOBLU

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore - Modded
im not to sure on the fine details but the preliminery list of problems i can see include...

You will need the auto computer for a number of reasons...
The VR buick engine runs the 4l60E the electronically controlled version of the series 1 VN's T700 hydraulically controlled auto box... so you may need to run some of the loom for the electronically controlled box and integrate it into the VNs loom as well as run the VR ECU as i believe it has a few more sensors in it so more loom may be needed here.....

However if you were to change you current engine/auto loom to a VR i cant see to many problems, but im sure the others will help more here...

Hope that little bit helps somewhat

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
its just a VR motor well actually i think its a VP series II, i dotn actually have a gearbox for it yet but i will get one soon, would a VN auto box bolt up to the engine?
and i already have the series II loom to go on the engine

cheers, nick

YSOBLU

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore - Modded
The VN box should bolt up to it, however you would need to modify the throttle plate to house the kickdown cable.... as in the VR its electronically controlled thus removing the need for the KD cable....

If you bolted the VN auto to the block, and somehow manufactured a way for the kickdown cable to be attached and functioning... i couldnt see a problem especially if you have the loom already, as i believe there is a few sensors like water temp and stuff that are in different spots...

Any other people care to shed some light?

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
fair enough, this engine might be a VP series II as it has the plate already on the throttle body for the KD cable. will have to check tonight and see if anyone else has some thoughts or more problems.
thanks again YSOBLU

cheers, nick

YSOBLU

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore - Modded
Ok well if it has the plate for the kickdown cable it makes your life alot easier as you can use the vn auto and have no probems... however i do believe there is a few small differences in the wiring in the VP as some of the sensors are moved due to the change in the intake manifold... but if you have the loom this is easily overcome...

The mounts are the same and everything else should be fairly simple...

VP uses a standard raditor set up with the lid and does away with the pressurised bottle so remember to change these over...

Dave

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks dave, yeah thought i might have to change the radiator, damn it, thats why i was wonderng if i could put the series one manifold on the series two motor?

cheers, nick

YSOBLU

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore - Modded
This would be a step backwards, nothing wrong with the series 2 cooling system.... leaves alot of potential for detailing the engine bay as you can move the coolant reservoir and windscreen washer reservoir inside the guards and the bits and pieces required for the s2 cooling could be picked up reasonably cheap at pick-a-part or something similar...

But i doubt you could swap the manifolds... but i could be very very wrong....

Dave

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
thats cool, will have to look around for a radiator and bits and pieces, thanks again for all your help. i will see how it goes, still in the middle of rebuilding the series II motor, and the series I motor slowly dieing, LOL
thanks again
cheers, nick