Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Serpentine Belt Diagram for VF SV6 and VE SV6.

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Auto Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Auto Sedan.
I have noticed that they do not have a diagram for the correct installation of the Serpentine Belt in the above Owner's Manual.
Installation as follows:-
1. Place the belt behind and on the Tension Idler Pulley.
2. Place the belt on all the other pulleys except the Alternator Pulley...just leave loose near this pulley.
3. Tension the Tension Idler Pulley and place belt over the Alternator Pulley.
4. The reason for placing over the Alternator Pully as it is the smallest diameter pulley and is easy to slip on.

See separate diagrams for SV6 VE and SV6 VF.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 9,596
  • IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 5,768
Last edited:

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Thanks - very handy diagrams. When replacing drive belts in previous cars, I have the last step of putting the belt over the largest pulley that has less wrap, usually the water pump because this order is easiest. (this pulley is higher in the engine bay and just needed to nudge it on). But I am no mechanic, just a mechanical engineer.

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the reply.....I removed the air intake from the air cleaner...makes it easier to get to the serpentine belt...however the moral of the story is....I wanted to check with the motor running any undue noises from the chain tensioner pulley....as a lot of reports about the tensioner chain giving up the ghost....on the SV6 VE....however there were no undue noises...only a slight noise...nothing to worry about...it is a 2008 SV6 UTE with 88,000 Kms. on the clock...and has never been thrashed.
However after reinstalling everything and starting the motor...it came up with the engine warning light on...and said " ESP Stability Control Off " which among other thing controls the ABS...after checking the fuses etc and after pushing the ESP button....it still did not come on.
Last resort....Disconnect the negative lead from the battery...wait 5 minutes and reconnect....bingo everything back to normal....and the ESP button can now be turned on and off....as normal...and no engine warning light!
So if any one is going to do this for a check on the chain tensioner pully....they may come up with the engine warning light and the ESP is off.
This should not happen if just changing the serpentine belt without the motor running without the belt.

It is marvellous what disconnecting and reconnecting the battery can do to the electronics on the car and resetting everything....saves a trip to an Holden Dealer.

By the way this on the SV6 VE only....have no need to try on the SV6 VF.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
You probably d/c the MAF to remove the intake piping while IGN was on.

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
You probably d/c the MAF to remove the intake piping while IGN was on.
You are probably right...as the throttle in the MAF would of operated when I checked the chain tensioner pully for any undue noise etc. with no serpentine belt attached with the motor running although the MAF was not removed....by the way there was no oil evident in the plastic catch can of the inlet housing from the air filter.