Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Serpentine Belt

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sedan / VE International Sportwagon
OK look at the picture for me...

2013+-+1

So this belt is little over three months old and already looks like this. Is it a shabby belt or do you reckon it's clipping against something causing it to fray like that? I'm not happy about it and new belts aren't exactly cheap as chips.

Any ideas? Similar problems?

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
That is definitely rubbing against something. Rub your finger around the length of the belt and check if anything is coming in contact with it. Looking at the picture it seems to be scraping across the outside of the belt, on the engine side.

Other than that there's a good chance the idler pulley or tensioner pulley is seizing. Easy enough to check, remove the belt and spin the pulleys by hand. There should be zero resistance. My money is on the idler pulley. I had one seize on my old VT V6, completely shattered and shredded the belt, only had 3 strands hold together and I limped the car home. Very lucky. Pulley was cheaper than the belt.

V6 Belts.jpg

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Agree........it's rubbing on something. Would have been nothing wrong with the belt when it first went on.

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
Seems its rubbing on more than just something on the engine side as there are a couple of gashes you can see going straight across.
Thank you S_ikari2015 for your advice you could be on to something. Best leave it where it is before mine has to limp home too. I'll have a dig and see what's going on.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Check ALL the pulleys and idlers for any chips or cracks.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Also check that all the pulleys and idlers have no play on the bearing. As in, give the pulley a wiggle and make sure they don't move side-to-side or angle at all.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Damn I wish the alternator in my gen 3 was this easy to get to.........

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
The inside edge of that belt isnt being picked up by the Top radiator hose clamp being in a position on the top hose so when its tightened the excess flange from the clamp is hanging out in the breeze facing the belt ?

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
I have the access to the hose clamp on the very top side of it, so no there's no contact with the belt in that regards