Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service Cost

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
When you take your car to a dealer or to anyone for tat matter, YOU tell them what you want done. If it's to be just the service according to the book, so be it. I always endorse the service authorisation with something along the lines of 'Service according to book, any additional work or parts replacement to be authorised by owner prior to replacement or repair.' I always wait at the dealer's whilst car being serviced.
As for cost compared to doing it at home etc. Who do you think pays for the electricity, water, council rates, showroom receptionist, service section staff, workshop staff, salespersons, administrative staff, cleaning lady, parts department staff, new car deatailers (they're the people that do the $2,000 + car wash on your new car), etc. I am not a fan of new car dealerships however I am mature enought to realise that running a business, any business, costs money. No different to running a home, car, caravan, motorhome, boat etc.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
When you take your car to a dealer or to anyone for tat matter, YOU tell them what you want done. If it's to be just the service according to the book, so be it. I always endorse the service authorisation with something along the lines of 'Service according to book, any additional work or parts replacement to be authorised by owner prior to replacement or repair.'

so do i thats why i wouldnt pay for the additional work they claim to have done that is not in the service book and is not part of the service sechdual according to the holden rep i spoke to i gave them the option of removing the unautohrised work or wearing it

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
This is the price breakdown I received from the dealer when I bought my car recently:

V6 prices then V8 prices

3,000km free free
15,000km $218.34 $221.21
30,000km $218.34 $221.21
45,000km $326.06 $328.93
60,000km $218.34 $221.21
75,000km $218.34 $221.21
90,000km $326.06 $567.55
105,000km $218.34 $221.21

Above prices don't include HSV or LPG models.

You can see that the 45k and 90k are the major ones, but how in the hell did they charge you $653?!?!

If anyone reading this has a local dealer who is stealing from them like this, remember that going elsewhere (like Ultratune or Midas) does NOT void your warranty. Dealers arent the only ones who can work on your car to still keep your warranty- and NEVER pay $650 for a service!!!!

Use commonsence folks. Engine oil and filter under $100 to buy retail... and even that is expensive. Allow another $100 for labour (which is expensive considering the work required) and you are still under $200. And never allow a dealer to charge you for 'additives'. Always specify no additives prior to handing over keys. Waste oil disposal is a bit of a rort as well, considering you can take waste oil to the tip/recycling depo for free.

To the OP, I don't know if you've typed it right but it looks like they've double and triple charged you for things.

Always get an itemised quote prior to handing keys over, and when they ask you to sign acceptance, take copy! You signing that document is agreeing to work and price upfront. Always specify in writing that any extra 'unforseen' work (like this bullshit battery cen and element ACL they've charged you for) is called through first.

Finally, never leave dealer (or pay) until you are satisfied with everything you are being charged for. You got robbed mate- but least you know never to take it back there again!

If you have the time, I'd be writing to head office (with a copy of invoice) stating your disgust.

Customer Satisfaction and Quality

Richard Miziewicz
Executive Director
Holden Ltd,
PO Box 1714,
Melbourne, Victoria, 3001

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Waste oil disposal is a bit of a rort as well, considering you can take waste oil to the tip/recycling depo for free.

yeah considering commercial buisnesses cant dump it there it has to go somewhere, so 3rd party buisness comes in, and they charge you for it, same as buisnesses cant dump oil filters etc in a domestic bin or skid, has to go in a seperate bin and get collected by surprise surprise another 3rd party buisness, which naturally charge you for that quite well too....

see where this is going, and why extra charges work there way in?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Always specify in writing that any extra 'unforseen' work (like this bullshit battery cen and element ACL they've charged you for) is called through first.

for this bull **** extra work, funny that, that is specified in the log book to be replaced as part of the log book service dosnt seem so unforseen to me,

yours being a sportwagon, holden have changed the log book requirements again, his car might be earlier and have the extra items in it

luckycalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
folks i appreciate everyones comments, and i think i will write a letter of disgust.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Waste disposal levy $6. Ok let's say an average car dumps 5 litres, some a bit more, some four cylinders a little less. To fill a 200 litre drum (forty-four) with sump oil would take about 40 cars. 40x $6= $240. Now let's say that each dealership stores 4 or 5 drums of sump oil before the waste oil guy comes to collect. Over $1,000 worth of oil that joe blogs has paid to "dispose of." I wonder what the oil guy charges the dealerships to pick up and dump this oil?

fish475

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
As a comparsion for a big gen 11 Toyota Kluger AWD Model.
I had the 40,000 service done last November, The 40,000 service is considered a big service for the Kluger and includes oil changes on the AWD diffs. This service is not priced within there Advantage reduced priced basic service plan.

Toyota dealer charged $420

I will be requesting a quote in future for my Ve Berlina before work starts after hearing what they charged you. I reckon you should write that letter.

Cheers Garry

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Waste disposal levy $6. Ok let's say an average car dumps 5 litres, some a bit more, some four cylinders a little less. To fill a 200 litre drum (forty-four) with sump oil would take about 40 cars. 40x $6= $240. Now let's say that each dealership stores 4 or 5 drums of sump oil before the waste oil guy comes to collect. Over $1,000 worth of oil that joe blogs has paid to "dispose of." I wonder what the oil guy charges the dealerships to pick up and dump this oil?

im not sure of the exact amount but it wouldnt be far away, and it is pricy to dump oil and filters at commercial level, its all epa regulations

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
folks i appreciate everyones comments, and i think i will write a letter of disgust.
I cant see anywhere whether you've stated that you agreed to this work being done??? This fact alone will shed some light on the whole situation.