Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service Error Contact Dealer

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hook me up again, please chaps.

After I finished the valve stem seals, and put everything back together, I found my battery was dead flat.

I gave it a jump start, and it turned over and started up OK.

Then it cut out.

After that, turn the key to ACC, the battery light and system check etc. come on. Goes to the old 'Service Error Contact Dealer'. If I turn the key to start, I can hear the starter relay click.

But I got no power to any electrics in the car, including the OBD2 port, the starter relay, any lights etc. The key fob no longer locks and unlocks the doors or opens the boot.

No red padlock flashing on the dash, but it is like the car has been immobilised.

I checked all the plugs and earths, found the earth wire to the ECU a little loose, not much. The wire to the back of the key ring was a little loose too, cause I just replaced the key barrel. Fixed all that. Earths are all earthing OK.

Key fob battery is still giving out 2.98 volts, the battery 12. Hooking up with the jumper leads to another car doesn't help any.

Any suggestions? What have I missed during reassembly, I wonder? Thrown the wiring harness around too much and done something there? Where to start looking?

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’d be looking for ecm, key, bcm and pim set at a wreckers that matches numbers like yours. Ie, the bcm has numbers on it, pim as well.

You said there’s lots of wrecked ones.

Swap them over and see if things improve.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Something similar happened with my father in-laws VZ recently after the battery went flat.

Have a look at that thread and see if jumping the terminals I’ve shown helps?

Earths to engine on the engine harness ok?

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Thanks man, I will go try all that now.

Yeah, might have to swap those components.

A man needs patience.

I preferred cars without electronic security, to be honest.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... I preferred cars without electronic security, to be honest.
Only until you turn up to where you last parked your car and the spot is empty or taken by something that’s not yours o_O

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Yeah, fair enough, ha ha.

I see I am not alone with this issue, after reading all those threads.

One of the contributors said bottom of the key barrel can be an issue. I messed with the key barrel too, cause I changed it.

Anyway, time to go and have a poke at it. Wish I had power to the OBD2 port, so I could get some clues.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have been doing a lot of reading on issues with the key. Low voltage can and will cause the BCM to prevent starting and even isolate accessories in certain circumstances.

I’ll go back through some of it, time permitting and post it up.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I don't think my battery is in very good condition. And I am pretty sure it is the BCM misbehaving.

Anyway, I need a new key fob programmed, so I bit the bullet and have a tilt tray on the way to take it to a guy with a Tech 2.

I will report back what we find.

Thanks again for all your help. Much appreciated.

I owe you a beer, mate. If you ever feel like a trip to Laos, you can come to my resort and knock yourself out. It is called the Green View Resort Laos. I will take you fishing too. It is near Vang Vieng, which is a helluva place.

I have a cold beer and a fishing rod for any one of you chaps as have helped me with the car. It is really decent of you.