Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service ESP

Imranallys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN2 2014
I have 2014 Holden caprice wn
Since past 8 months am facing an issue
ESP service lights on dash and car looses power
If I reset the battery it goes normal and the problem reappears again

My mechanic suggested me whenever there is such problem like car loosing its power stop the car and put some water on computer and restart it
I followed his advice and car will run normal for some time or some days.
Then again problem pops up again ESP service message on dash and car looses power.
My mechanic suggested me to change the computer with the brand new one
I did that even after that the problem doesn’t go away
Am fed up
Do you have any idea what to do ?
Now again am just putting water again on computer whenever there is problem and driving it

When car looses it power I need to accelaerate more
RPM goes above 3 for doing 100kph
If it’s normal it just use 1.5 rpm for 100kph

Pls suggest me any advice

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Since past 8 months am facing an issue
ESP service lights on dash and car looses power
If I reset the battery it goes normal and the problem reappears again

My mechanic suggested me whenever there is such problem like car loosing its power stop the car and put some water on computer and restart it
I followed his advice and car will run normal for some time or some days.

My mechanic would say take it to someone who knows how to check the code and repair the fault.

I've had the ESP warning come on when I've had nothing more than a dirty air filter so it could be something very simple.

Imranallys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN2 2014
My mechanic would say take it to someone who knows how to check the code and repair the fault.

I've had the ESP warning come on when I've had nothing more than a dirty air filter so it could be something very simple.

I change air filter every 20k
It’s my hire car

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
It could be faulty fuel injectors.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I change air filter every 20k
It’s my hire car

I clean mine every 5k.

My point being it is most likely something simple and if you don't have a mechanic that can rectify the problem after 8 months then take the car elsewhere.

Maybe a Holden dealership could give you some advice.

Imranallys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN2 2014
I clean mine every 5k.

My point being it is most likely something simple and if you don't have a mechanic that can rectify the problem after 8 months then take the car elsewhere.

Maybe a Holden dealership could give you some advice.

I took it Holden 5 months ago
They kept the car for a week
They said it might b electrical issue
They realigned the wiring and gave me back
Surprisingly they didn’t took a penny coz they cudnt find the core of the problem

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Some dealers are way more cluey than others, my experience has been that it's unfair to judge them all based on the one nearest me; maybe try a different dealer?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Keep in mind that to get meaningful help on a forum you need to provide as much relevant info as possible. Things like how many kms the car has done, how well its serviced and by whom, whether services have been done by the book or skipped altogether, whether the car has been in an accident or accidents, etc, etc.

If it's a taxi and has done 100,000 kms/year, so 300,000kms in total, some may say it's clapped. If so, maybe you need to consider rolling it over more often. By that i mean replacing your vehicle more regularly, not doing dodgy insurance claims :p

Imranallys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN2 2014
Keep in mind that to get meaningful help on a forum you need to provide as much relevant info as possible. Things like how many kms the car has done, how well its serviced and by whom, whether services have been done by the book or skipped altogether, whether the car has been in an accident or accidents, etc, etc.

If it's a taxi and has done 100,000 kms/year, so 300,000kms in total, some may say it's clapped. If so, maybe you need to consider rolling it over more often. By that i mean replacing your vehicle more regularly, not doing dodgy insurance claims :p
Car was purchased in Feb 2018 from Doncaster Holden
It was just done 35000 kms
After purchasing the car within 10 k kms this problem started
It was 46000kms when i first had this issue
Took the car back to them they kept it for a week and said me they cudnt find core issue but car shud be fine
But again after a month problem resurfaced

I service my car every 15k kms
Now it has clocked 115000kms
Now and then I am getting same issue
ESP service message and engine light comes up car looses power
If I pour water on computer
Car goes normal and slowly after a day or 2 engine light goes off but again problem resurfaces in a day or 2 sometimes ina week

Don’t know what to do sir :(

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Don't know what you should do either but checking your vehicle of 'set' and 'pending' ODB fault codes would be a start.

Alternatively, may be you can pour water on the computer so it drives nice then trade it in at Doncaster Holden for a new (not second hand) car. Do this dirty deed to DH since they are the ones who can't fix your issue. Then service your new vehicle at another Holden dealer who will hopefully do their kob more professionally. I'd also service your new vehicle more frequently than the manufacturers normal use schedule as hire cars should be using a severe use schedule which i think is every 7,500kms.

And finally, any mechanic who tells a driver to pour water on electonics, even ones housed in IP rated enclosures, isn't a good mechanic in my book. A good mechanic should really be checking for fault codes before confirming the faulty component via the correct diagnostics procedure before actually replacing anything. A good mechanic wont have you drive around with a cold water container.