Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service Questions

Tis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII S
Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong thread.
I have just come up to my 160000Km service and I wanted to do a few extra things as I am not sure when they were last done as I have not had the car for that long.
I have VT2 Manual S pac.
I have some questions about some of the steps if anyone could help out (I have tried searching the forum over the last few days for the answers to these questions and have come up with most).

These are the things I am going to do and am able to do just fine:-
I am going to change the engine oil and filter.
Change the air filter.
I have recently changed the spark plugs and I am going to get some new leads.

Here is what I have some questions about:-
I am going to replace the brake fluid as per the instructions on the forum but am not sure if I should use Castrol Dot 4 or Super Dot 4. Super Dot 4 is on special now would this work well?
I am going to replace the clutch fluid how do I do this and what fluid do I replace it with?
I also want to change the transmission fluid, I have found this post
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/servicing-your-auto-manual.73009
Is there any easy way to put the new fluid in besides a pump or grease gun?
Also what fluid should I use?
Should I change my power steering fluid and if so what is the best method and best replacement fluid?
Is there anything I have missed that you would advise doing?

Sorry for so many questions but I want to get this right the first time.
I have also read the forums quite a bit so I am sorry if I have missed this in other threads.
Thanks in advance for the help.

howler31

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
i would put dot 4 in brakes and clutch there the same
i think it is VMX castrol that gose in to the geabox but in to make sure your service manual should say what needs to go in and u just need to drain from drain plug and on the side of the box there will be a filler plug but be sure that u crak it first dont want to het caught out when u have drained it and u cant get it back in LOL
and the power sterring fliud is just auto fluid dexron 3 just need to take off the return pipe to p/s tank and re fill
if diff noisey maybe replace fluid
engine oil use good stuff i neaver cheap out get like castrol magntec or a semi sin oil like a 10w/30 15w/40

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
when you buy gear box oil it comes in a bottle with a filler tube just put the tube in filler hole and squeeze the bottle till the oil comes out the hole. im not keen on the idea of putting oil in through the the shifter ? how do you know how much oil is in there ,does overfilling do eny harm?????

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
i use valvalin oil 20w-,have done for years, in road bikes and cars ,never eany probs ,i change the oil every 5000 ks dont like the 10,000ks idea i think thats to long stops gunk building up in the .motor thay sell valvolin every where not sure about the otheoils cheap to

Tis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII S
Hi guys,

Thanks for the help so far.

Can anyone tell me how to properly add the clutch fluid.

Do I need to bleed anything with the power steering fluid or do I just take off the return pipe and refill (then check level when warm).

I might try some better engine oil this time if it will help but in the past I have only ever used Shell Helix Super 15W-40 oil.

Looking at the Castrol website it says for the manual transmission to use CASTROL SYNTRANS 75W/85 does this sound right?

Sorry just one more question is it worth changing my diff oil while I am doing the rest?

Last edited:

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
With the clutch fluid prob easiest way is to bleed it out.
Under the car at the bp youl see a bleed nipple, on the driver side from memory.
Get someone to jump in the car while your under there.
Get them to push the peddle and hold it down. While there doing this undo the nipple and let the fluid come out until it will sorta stop.
Do it back up and then get your mate to let up the pedal.
Just repeat this until you see the new fluid coming through.
Make sure while doing this you dont let your level drop below min.
In regards to diff oil definately check it while your at it.
I think its 28 or 30mm plug on the centre of the diff youl see.
Just take it off and check level and colour.
To check level put your pinky in and it should be to the top of thehole and generally a yellowish colour.
If you do change your diff oil HP LS 90 for non LSD and 75-140 for the LSD's

JacksonVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2
Do you Engine Oil + Filter, Air Filter, Spark Plugs + Leads, Change your Gear Box oil and Diff oils, Drain your p/s steering from the P/s rack and refill as required. Drain + replace your coolant, With your brake fluid and clutch fluids leave them to someone who knows how to. They require bleeding to remove all air from the the system. If this is not done air trapped in the system will cause them to not work properly. ALSO before i forget, Replace your Fuel Filter. Alot of people don't do this then wonder why they're commodores idle poorly, misfire or replace stuffed fuel pumps

stevesvx2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore v6
i used to work at a auto gearbox place and we alway put dexron 3 in the gearbox