Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service steering column lock nugget

Com91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sportswagon Black/UC Torana Hatch
Oh and for anyone interested in pulling the door card off here are a few happy snaps, Tools needed: Phillips head, 7mm socket, T20 torx (i think, was a while ago sorry) and some of those plastic trim prying tools the clips were tight on mine, use the pics as a reference to their locations. The actuator has a Slide-up-to-release style connector plug and bunch of pesky rods. :)
20201121_135827.jpg20201121_135831.jpg20201121_144817.jpg

Attachments

• removal instructions.pdf
    165.1 KB · Views: 216

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Oh and for anyone interested in pulling the door card off here are a few happy snaps, Tools needed: Phillips head, 7mm socket, T20 torx (i think, was a while ago sorry) and some of those plastic trim prying tools the clips were tight on mine, use the pics as a reference to their locations. The actuator has a Slide-up-to-release style connector plug and bunch of pesky rods. :)
View attachment 216676View attachment 216677View attachment 216678

Thanks for this info. I have been advised not to try and fix this myself, but continue with ACCC and BCS and with my selling dealer. Which I have done so am just waiting further contact.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
UPDATE on my steering column issue

After taking advice to approach my selling dealer with the issue, the DP of my selling dealer contacted Holden engineers and some sort of National Managers regarding my issue. He rang me today to advise that Holden has advised they are not in the business of fault finding and fixing issues on people’s relatively new VF Commodores. Even if the car was still under warranty Holden wouldn’t be interested. So they don’t want to replace the door actuator for me which is a $160 part as I believe this is the cause but may also not be the cause.

Holden said I can pay for fault finding and stripping the car and if something is found and provable they will refund my costs.

WTF. How is this even legal? You build a car, it has a fault relatively new in its life. You get it fixed. End of story.

I dont think they know what the issue is or how to fix it, or they really dont care and the whole caring for Holden owners is a load of bullshit.

I am so pissed off, I don't know what to do next. Back to ACC or BCS?

Now I am wondering if it is something that I have done to the car which has caused this? is it my alcantara steering wheel I fitted? Is it because I fitted LED globes and they maybe causing some sort of voltage issue? Im sure it isnt but now im abit worried/paranoid. Mind you I made these changes early on when I got the car and it has been smooth motoring for the last 3 years.

Is my car battery faulty and causing voltage issue? I did notice that when I got into the car the other day mylink had re-set the date and time somehow to 2014.

I really am lost as to what it can be and what I do next to fix the issue. Its crap it works when it wants and fails when it wants

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
ACL doesn’t talk about fault finding, only about goods being of acceptable quality (54) and of goods being fit for purpose (61) and contracts can’t remove provisions of ACL (64) or limit the sellers liability (64A) and a whole bunch of other things businesses hate... You can read it at

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2015C00327/Html/Volume_3#_Toc424644337

(or search for ACCC Ora consumer groups interpretation of ACL which may be more easily digestible)

The take from ACL is that a factory warranties against defect must meet the form and content as prescribed by ACL (or the bureaucrats that administer such things). And I doubt an acceptable factory warranty (as ACL would see it) would place the fault finding cost burden on the consumer... I don’t recall reading such conditions within Holden own warranty documentation, so if it ain’t written it doesn’t exist. Even if it’s written, it's against ACL so in essence such factory warranty clauses don’t exist.

You have a defect, and you’ve taken it to be repaired multiple times so it must rise to the classification of major fault by now... If so, be done with these clowns and simply ask (in writing) for a full refund as is your right under ACL. They may quickly change their tune and decide it’s worth it to investigate and find the fault and rectify it...

So speak to BCS again and outline your situation in the above frame. You have a fault and you can’t spend $1000’s to try and localise where the fault is. One dealer has witnessed the fault and the dealers are the experts so they should get on with resolving the fault in a reasonable time frame without sucking $$$ from you. But instead the fault isn’t being looked at because they have no clue and want you to spend $$ so they can meet the manufacturers illegal process. .

PS: it may seem tempting to simply replace the lock @ $160 but if that won’t work, you’ll be chasing your tail spending $$. Push the dealer to do his job and fix the defect (what ever it is... if he can’t, get a full purchase price refund and buy something else and be done with Holden... it’s just a car)...

54. Guarantee as to acceptable quality
(1) If:
(a) a person supplies, in trade or commerce, goods to a consumer; and
(b) the supply does not occur by way of sale by auction;
there is a guarantee that the goods are of acceptable quality.
(2) Goods are of acceptable quality if they are as:
(a) fit for all the purposes for which goods of that kind are commonly supplied; and
(b) acceptable in appearance and finish; and
(c) free from defects; and
(d) safe; and
(e) durable;
as a reasonable consumer fully acquainted with the state and condition of the goods (including any hidden defects of the goods), would regard as acceptable having regard to the matters in subsection (3).
(3) The matters for the purposes of subsection (2) are:
(a) the nature of the goods; and
(b) the price of the goods (if relevant); and
(c) any statements made about the goods on any packaging or label on the goods; and
(d) any representation made about the goods by the supplier or manufacturer of the goods; and
(e) any other relevant circumstances relating to the supply of the goods.
(4) If:
(a) goods supplied to a consumer are not of acceptable quality; and
(b) the only reason or reasons why they are not of acceptable quality were specifically drawn to the consumer’s attention before the consumer agreed to the supply;
the goods are taken to be of acceptable quality.
(5) If:
(a) goods are displayed for sale or hire; and
(b) the goods would not be of acceptable quality if they were supplied to a consumer;
the reason or reasons why they are not of acceptable quality are taken, for the purposes of subsection (4), to have been specifically drawn to a consumer’s attention if those reasons were disclosed on a written notice that was displayed with the goods and that was transparent.
(6) Goods do not fail to be of acceptable quality if:
(a) the consumer to whom they are supplied causes them to become of unacceptable quality, or fails to take reasonable steps to prevent them from becoming of unacceptable quality; and
(b) they are damaged by abnormal use.
(7) Goods do not fail to be of acceptable quality if:
(a) the consumer acquiring the goods examines them before the consumer agrees to the supply of the goods; and
(b) the examination ought reasonably to have revealed that the goods were not of acceptable quality.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
UPDATE on my steering column issue

After taking advice to approach my selling dealer with the issue, the DP of my selling dealer contacted Holden engineers and some sort of National Managers regarding my issue. He rang me today to advise that Holden has advised they are not in the business of fault finding and fixing issues on people’s relatively new VF Commodores. Even if the car was still under warranty Holden wouldn’t be interested. So they don’t want to replace the door actuator for me which is a $160 part as I believe this is the cause but may also not be the cause.

Holden said I can pay for fault finding and stripping the car and if something is found and provable they will refund my costs.

WTF. How is this even legal? You build a car, it has a fault relatively new in its life. You get it fixed. End of story.

I dont think they know what the issue is or how to fix it, or they really dont care and the whole caring for Holden owners is a load of bullshit.

I am so pissed off, I don't know what to do next. Back to ACC or BCS?

Now I am wondering if it is something that I have done to the car which has caused this? is it my alcantara steering wheel I fitted? Is it because I fitted LED globes and they maybe causing some sort of voltage issue? Im sure it isnt but now im abit worried/paranoid. Mind you I made these changes early on when I got the car and it has been smooth motoring for the last 3 years.

Is my car battery faulty and causing voltage issue? I did notice that when I got into the car the other day mylink had re-set the date and time somehow to 2014.

I really am lost as to what it can be and what I do next to fix the issue. Its crap it works when it wants and fails when it wants

Interesting you say about LED lights. My first VF I didn't change globes but my redline I did but early on. I too thought the drivers door switch/lock might be causing this but as the light came on I though all ok. Maybe Holden doesn't have the engineers anymore to look at these issues??

Winx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Came up today when I started the car.

Disapeared after car was turned off.

Did not come back next time I started it.

No difference in steering...

I am one step closer to trading this cnut in and going Japanese....
Hi Ron, can you tell me if you were able to get this fixed?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No offence, but have you tried reading the thread?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yes, new member today. Just finished reading an hours worth of comments. very helpful.
Welcom to the forum and a world of hurt when possibly Holden electronic miscreants ruining your ride... :eek: but it is what it is... ;)

Atleast people try and help on these forums, though spoon feeding gets old rather quickly :p

However, if you did read the whole thread, you’d have noticed that Ron stated in post 45, 48 and I think 63 that this issue only occurred once for him (implied no new parts or work performed). Had a DIC error message once and it never came back :cool:

Others have also mentioned this may be associated with the door lock mechanism and/or some module faults, etc but nothing absolute and definitive. What’s not uncertain is the unanimous view that dealers are hopeless :oops:

As is, in older cars,when you park with your wheels turned a little, foot still on the brake and hand on the steering wheel holding a bit of tension on it as you withdraw the key, the steering lock pin can slide in and the key can thus come out of the key barrel easily. In some such cases, It’s likely when it locks and you let the steering go and take the foot off the brake the car will roll back just a little adding some more tension to the steering shaft and then holding the lock pin within the shaft. This action can make it a little difficult to unlock the steering next time you hop in. But as we human have muscle memory which works well, we simply put some opposite tension on the steering shaft by weighting the steering wheel just a smidgen and the key then turns freely as the lock pin withdraws... Usually we don’t even realise we are doing such...

Electronics on the other hand isn’t as smart nor does it have muscle memory... and we humans forget how things work, so we just press the button. If the lock pin is bound up, the motor isn’t strong enough to pull the pin from the shaft unless we take tension from the steering shaft... but we’ve pressed the button and expect it should work. We don’t have the physical feedback a key provides, so don’t think to wiggle the wheel and feel for a non bound position before pressing the button. And as electronics can’t think, it just displays a message In the DIC for the nut behind the wheel...

And we want driverless cars :eek:

So, think about the mechanisms involved, your physical behaviour and try and tie it to the old keyed systems to understand if you are contributing to the difficulty. Maybe just being a bit more aware of how you lock the car at the end of each day may resolve the message with just a trivial change of behaviour. It’s better tying this than just throwing parts at a car :cool: