Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service steering column lock nugget

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
What was the out come of your issue?I just posted about the same issue i am having with my 2017 Motorsport Edition, albit I have never had a warning come up on screen, mine has just stopped working.

I have managed to get mine working now but it works when it wants to. I read the Holden Factory Workshop manual and it states that the SCLM has to see 3 input in order for the steering column to be locked;

The BCM power mode if OFF
The vehicle is stationary based on zero speed from the ABS wheel sensors
The driver or passenger door is opened reported by the PEPS module

I too am getting a delay when opening the driver door, so am wondering if i have an issue with the door switch sending signal to them SCLM?

Wondering whether to go to Holden or just go and buy a replacement module for $190 and swap it myself and see how I go. Or is there a software reflash for this module or door switch module?

This probably won't be much help to you but, I used to get the steering lock message occasionally and it wouldn't engage. I just popped the top of the steering column off jiggled stuff around and pushed all the plugs i could see/feel in as far as they would go. Did that a few weeks ago and haven't had any problems since, no messages and can hear the steering lock engage/disengage

Reactions: Lex

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
This probably won't be much help to you but, I used to get the steering lock message occasionally and it wouldn't engage. I just popped the top of the steering column off jiggled stuff around and pushed all the plugs i could see/feel in as far as they would go. Did that a few weeks ago and haven't had any problems since, no messages and can hear the steering lock engage/disengage

Thanks, but havent got any warnings or erros display on the screen. Mine just stopped working. I managed to get it to work after forcing steering wheel a few times to engage the lock. Then it worked for a bit and has stopped working again.

I also sometimes get the delay in engaging the lock after i have opened the door (about 8 sec) and other times it locks straight away.

Car just came out of warranty as well, but i have booked it in with the Holden dealership, to either reflash the program or have to replace the module.

Just curious what happened to the other people who had the same as me with no errors coming up on the display

Com91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sportswagon Black/UC Torana Hatch
I had this fault with my 2016 VFII Wagon pretty much constantly in the end, was displaying "Service steering column lock" on dash and having this random delay shutting everything down after opening the drivers door (worse on hot days), turned out to be the door lock actuator nothing to do the steering lock module. The door switch is in the actuator latch and reads 2 positions Ajar/closed and open/closed to the Keyless entry module, when the fault occurred the sensors were delivering an "implausible" position to the computer causing a bit of confusion during the power down and steering lockup process. I just pulled the actuator out of the door (unplugged it) flushed it out with contact cleaner and compressed air a few times, re-assembled and I am yet to have the fault return, suspect dirt and grease on the latch is working its way up over the sensors. Hope this helps someone. I am an electronics tech by trade.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
I had this fault with my 2016 VFII Wagon pretty much constantly in the end, was displaying "Service steering column lock" on dash and having this random delay shutting everything down after opening the drivers door (worse on hot days), turned out to be the door lock actuator nothing to do the steering lock module. The door switch is in the actuator latch and reads 2 positions Ajar/closed and open/closed to the Keyless entry module, when the fault occurred the sensors were delivering an "implausible" position to the computer causing a bit of confusion during the power down and steering lockup process. I just pulled the actuator out of the door (unplugged it) flushed it out with contact cleaner and compressed air a few times, re-assembled and I am yet to have the fault return, suspect dirt and grease on the latch is working its way up over the sensors. Hope this helps someone. I am an electronics tech by trade.
Thanks mate, this is great info. Mine is still not working so have to take it back to the dealer again, will tell them this info and hopefully they maybe able to replace my whole unit under warranty.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Great info though it sounds like the door lock actuator and the control system logic is just another case of defective by design :eek: If it is dirt and oil that causes the issue, it will return over time :oops:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Great info though it sounds like the door lock actuator and the control system logic is just another case of defective by design :eek: If it is dirt and oil that causes the issue, it will return over time :oops:

If they're like the VE door actuators(probably similar), there is a potted switch that goes intermittent, and then fails.

Com91

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks, Yeah a poor design with misleading error messages, it is the exact same door lock actuator as VE, I checked the part numbers, my plan was always to do a clean first just to prove the theory if/when the fault returns ill know to replace the actuator which is a much better outcome than steering lock modules, I've repaired those steering locks for mercs and such not a fun job to remove.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Car is back at the dealer today, have passed on the info about the door actuator/door lock module. Hopefully get replaced under warranty.

Might buy a few spares then and keep them for future.

Com91

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car is back at the dealer today, have passed on the info about the door actuator/door lock module. Hopefully get replaced under warranty.

Might buy a few spares then and keep them for future.
Fingers crossed, Let us know about the outcome!

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride

So the dealer and Holden have wiped their hands clean of this problem and are refusing to fix the issue. They say because no errors are logged in the computer there is no problem. Even though I brought the car into them last week, the tech saw that it wasn't working, but then started working again. I have multiple videos of the issue. They said they couldn't fault it yesterday in the workshop.

To say I'm fuming is an understatement.

The dealer is like arguing with a person who will not admit their is egg on their face. I say the colour is Blue and the dealer says no the colour is Red, even though they know the colour is Blue they are no going to admit it and will stick to what they are saying.

I then catch the dealer out on their own mistakes and they still wont admit it. They say the car is now 6 months out of new car warranty and that they are not going to replace parts, parts have to fail completely before they will do something. But hang on only 4 weeks ago they replaced the steering column lock module under warranty even though the car is out of warranty and that wasn't showing that it had completely failed, they just put in a new one without even testing anything. They avoided that statement and didn't answer it.

I asked well what would happen if the car was still under warranty, they said the same thing, we wouldn't fix it without something showing up. But hang on they said they are not going to fix it cos its out of warranty, but then the dealer says they still wouldn't fix it under warranty cos they dont know what part has failed.

I then said but I brought the car in and your tech saw that it was not working and then started working again, so he acknowledged there is something going on and I also have multiple videos showing it working not working. They say it has to not work when it is booked into the workshop and because it didn't fail on the day it was booked in, there was no reason to carry out any work.

FFS what does it have to fail on a specific date and time in order for you to do something?

I then rang Holden Customer Care and was dealing with a nice bloke there that was actually understanding and helpful, i then called back and couldn't get him again so ended up with a stupid sheila who didn't careless and said we are siding with the dealer. When I said I would like to speak to the previous bloke, she says he must be in a meeting or on the phone. So I asked can i ask him to call me back and she replies sorry we dont offer a call back service.

By this point my head is about to explode with rage!!!!

So is my next step ACCC as I have a defective part somewhere in the car that is not operating as it should and is not fit for purpose? I have my other VF Redline and my mates SS as comparison cars to demonstrate they do not possess this same issue as mine.

Com91 can you explain your step by step process ir removing and cleaning the actuator as I believe that is what i will have to do next as no one will help me.