Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service steering column lock nugget

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Put any load on the steering wheel, getting in, or out of the car?
It is possible but i don't specifically remember anything out of ordinary

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Holden says it is okay to drive if the message went away and no loss of steering. Only to book it in if the message stays or if I lose steering...
Let's hope it was just some ECU spasm and it never comes back again...
Cnut

I thought that the error message is about the ‘steering lock’ rather than the ‘steering’ itself?

My immediate impression was that there might have been load on the steering column when it was locked (such as the car moved slightly after it was parked). I do recall in the older cars that used a key to unlock the steering, that turning the key could be hard if there was any load on the steering column. The user manual (for the older cars) recommended turning the wheel slightly to take the pressure off the locking mechanism. I don’t know what the equivalent advice is for cars with electric steering locks.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Holden says it is okay to drive if the message went away and no loss of steering. Only to book it in if the message stays or if I lose steering...
Let's hope it was just some ECU spasm and it never comes back again...
Cnut

Well that fanfuckingtastic, come back after it fails (and you've had a potential fatal accident).

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Well that fanfuckingtastic, come back after it fails (and you've had a potential fatal accident).
Yep...I also mentioned I need to drive 3.5hr back to Sydney in 4 days.
The level of disinterested is amazing. That is why I am thinking of switching brands completely. New Mazda 6 with 2.5 Turbo looks more appealing by the day...
Sick of Holden's appaling customer service...

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I thought that the error message is about the ‘steering lock’ rather than the ‘steering’ itself?

My immediate impression was that there might have been load on the steering column when it was locked (such as the car moved slightly after it was parked). I do recall in the older cars that used a key to unlock the steering, that turning the key could be hard if there was any load on the steering column. The user manual (for the older cars) recommended turning the wheel slightly to take the pressure off the locking mechanism. I don’t know what the equivalent advice is for cars with electric steering locks.
Holden said the steering lock message can sometimes be associated with loss of power steering.

ls3 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vfs2ss
Came up today when I started the car.

Disapeared after car was turned off.

Did not come back next time I started it.

No difference in steering...

I am one step closer to trading this cnut in and going Japanese....

Ron... did you bump / /knock the steering wheel getting out of the car? i did once and the next morning i got the same message..

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Ron... did you bump / /knock the steering wheel getting out of the car? i did once and the next morning i got the same message..

A few people mentioned this in the post above. I can not specifically remember but i generally to have a tendency to grab the wheel when getting in or out of the car.
I drove it all day today and stopped a few times and no issues...
It might be that I pulled on it hard as I was getting out of the car the night before...

Last edited: