Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service steering column lock nugget

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
so if it is just a bump/turn/nudge of the steering wheel when the car is off, you guys with VF's should be able to replicate the issue constantly.

why u no do this?!?

Woodman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFSS Redline
Interesting. How old was your C5 when the problem first presented?

VF's have no earthing issues. I suspect anyone getting the message in their VF has bumped the steering wheel as it's locking or unlocking. E.g. wheel in right hand, left hand reaches for the start stop button and the right hand pulls slightly on the wheel. Fault recorded for next start. Knees knocking the wheel, or reaching in through the window, through or over the steering wheel to press the start button.
I know this can cause the fault message, as I did this in mine in 2013. Once. I discussed with Holden and they advised not to move the wheel during start/stop. I have not had an issue since.

Woodman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFSS Redline
I had to perform the steering column fix on the Corvette in around 2013. So the car was about 10 years old. The car is also used intermittently and this has exacerbated poor grounding problems.

Steering column lock problems seem to almost non-existant for C6 and C7 Corvettes so I have been hoping that GM figured something out along the way and that the column lock on the VF would have no issues.

Perhaps moving the steering wheel after the Column lock has activated and applying lateral force to the locking pin results in warning message on the Driver Information Center and/or the setting of a Diagnostic Trouble Code.

berlina411

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline (Weekender). Truck (Daily)
Just to put another slant on this...... my mate had the same error message on his VF Calais V. After a couple of attempts to diagnose by the dealer they narrowed it down to a module in the driver's door. Changed module and no more issues. Apparently the dealer said that this message can relate to a number of different issues not just the steering although they didn't elaborate on which issues this might be.

Woodman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFSS Redline
Just to put another slant on this...... my mate had the same error message on his VF Calais V. After a couple of attempts to diagnose by the dealer they narrowed it down to a module in the driver's door. Changed module and no more issues. Apparently the dealer said that this message can relate to a number of different issues not just the steering although they didn't elaborate on which issues this might be.

The algorithm involving the column lock in the VF Commodores may be very complex. It may involve several control modules and any failure in communication between the modules will result in the column lock system not withdrawing the locking pin and setting a Diagnostic Trouble Code.

It may talk to a door module to enquire if door is open/is window down.

To keep my C5 Corvette running I had to take to the column lock with a cutting wheel and buy/learn HP Tuners tuning software and flash the PCM.

I would suggest anyone looking at their VF Commodore as a keeper will have to be prepared to pull the various components down and gear up to diagnose and fix electronic problems themselves. Even if Holden survives as a brand in the next decade support for VF will be negligible.

That being said, took the VF SS out to a couple of work calls this afternoon. What a fantastic car! Its like a Super-Commodore.

berlina411

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline (Weekender). Truck (Daily)
You could be right woodman but my mate had no issues at all with his steering lock. One other issue he had was that sometimes the radio wouldn't turn off but again this is related to the door module probably not recognising the door being open/closed. It was however very random but now fixed.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
You could be right woodman but my mate had no issues at all with his steering lock. One other issue he had was that sometimes the radio wouldn't turn off but again this is related to the door module probably not recognising the door being open/closed. It was however very random but now fixed.
That was a common problem on early VE's.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224