Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service steering column lock nugget

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Super Coach, the problem is Holden just don’t give a toss since they have no brand to protect. They are in the process of pulling out and will only do the absolute minimum required under law...

But ACL cover intermittent faults as such faults make the product defective... And if you’ve taken it to them 4 weeks ago, where they replaced the steering column lock and that didn’t fix the defect, that's strike one. You’ve now taken it back to the dealer as the problem still manifests itself, however they refuse to fix it until a fault code shows up despite the fault being witnessed by the service technician, that’s strike two. When the defect rears its ugly head again and they refuse to fix it again, that’s strike three... this then changes the game...

Under ACL, you can’t choose the remedy for a minor defect. However, if the seller/manufacturer can’t fix this minor defect within reasonable time and/or within a number of attempt repairs (I think 3 is the accepted number), then it can be classed as a major defect under ACL. The great thing about a major defect under ACL is that the purchaser can choose the remedy they prefer. The buyers choice can be either a repair of the faulty product, a replacement of the faulty product or full purchase price refund; with a major defect it’s the purchasers choice :cool:

So if the dealer wants to avoid refunding you the purchase price for your vehicle, due to this what will obviously become a major defect under ACL, then it would be in their interests to work a little harder at resolving this intermittant fault and not play games about fault codes

(the fault detection system may itself be poorly designed so doesn’t capture this issue - that makes the vehicles diagnostics system defective under ACL is it can’t differentiate between door switch, steering lock or steering lock control module issues)...

Unfortunately S.A. doesn’t have a dedicated small claims tribunal for such consumer issues as it’s handled by the magistrates court. There may be special rules for small claims so check with them).

ACCC won’t handle consumer issues as such but they may be interested in how Holden & dealers are treating their customers considering the court enforceable undertaking Holden made to ACCC not to behave like arse hats... I think the undertaking expires mid late November but as you raised this issue late October/early November the issue should be covered by the undertaking that they won’t shaft you... which the seem to be doing...

I‘d talk to ACCC about Holdens behaviour and talk to the magistrate clerk about the process of making a claim against the dealer/Holden for this issue (and if you go that court route, go for the full refund so you can be done with).

PS: I wouldn’t repair it myself just yet as you know it’s going to occur again and that strike 3 may be what you actually want. After all if they can’t fix a simple lock issue, what hope will you have with more serious issues that should be covered under ACL.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I think the undertaking expires mid late November

The undertaking expires 31/12/20 so @Super Coach is still covered by it.

While they likely won't help in this instance, I'm sure the ACCC would be interested to know how Holden appears to be breaching the undertaking.

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/holden-undertakes-to-comply-with-consumer-guarantees

The undertaking itself - https://www.accc.gov.au/public-regi...kings-register/gm-holden-ltd-s87b-undertaking

Which contains a link to the 22 page document signed by GM Holden Ltd - https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files/public-registers/undertaking/1203115-1-EO - 87B Undertaking - GM Holden Ltd - signed undertaking for public register - 2 August 2017.PDF

Also, SA Civil Claims - http://www.courts.sa.gov.au/RepresentYourself/CivilClaims/MinorClaims/Pages/default.aspx

Not expensive to lodge a claim and legal representation is only allowed in certain circumstances. Can't imagine a dealer would be capable of defending themselves adequately if you presented a good enough case.

Reactions: Lex

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Just an update, the ACCC has advised that I contact Consumer Business Services in Adelaide. After speaking to them they have advised that I do have a case, but I need to address this issue with my selling dealer as they are the ones that are liable under ACL, not the dealer who was performing my service or warranty work.

If my selling dealer fails to agree to perform a repair under ACL, then CBS will take action on my behalf to court.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I had this fault with my 2016 VFII Wagon pretty much constantly in the end, was displaying "Service steering column lock" on dash and having this random delay shutting everything down after opening the drivers door (worse on hot days), turned out to be the door lock actuator nothing to do the steering lock module. The door switch is in the actuator latch and reads 2 positions Ajar/closed and open/closed to the Keyless entry module, when the fault occurred the sensors were delivering an "implausible" position to the computer causing a bit of confusion during the power down and steering lockup process. I just pulled the actuator out of the door (unplugged it) flushed it out with contact cleaner and compressed air a few times, re-assembled and I am yet to have the fault return, suspect dirt and grease on the latch is working its way up over the sensors. Hope this helps someone. I am an electronics tech by trade.

Ok, a bit of info on lock actuators...
I'd be wary of spraying contact cleaner, and compressed air, into the housing.
The grease is required, as its a mostly mechanical actuator, with one sensor and a microswitch(both potted).
I'll state here that I haven't had a problem with the VF, but I have changed both of the VE's drivers door actuator, an MY12 and a MY12.5.
I'm only assuming the VF actuator would be similar.
lockactuator.JPG

Did some trouble shooting with a power supply and a multimeter and found the white microswitch below the terminal block was open circuit.
It provides feedback to the system when the door locks, and unlocks.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just an update, the ACCC has advised that I contact Consumer Business Services in Adelaide. After speaking to them they have advised that I do have a case, but I need to address this issue with my selling dealer as they are the ones that are liable under ACL, not the dealer who was performing my service or warranty work.

If my selling dealer fails to agree to perform a repair under ACL, then CBS will take action on my behalf to court.
Highlights the absurdity of Holden's position as the selling dealer would likely loose the case and Holden itself could/should be up for the dealers losses which may also include added court costs. It's crazy when their own people have seen the fault 1st hand...

Curious whether ACCC has shown any interest related to Holden and/or the dealer not following their court enforcable undertaking?
Also curious whether CBS advice when and how the defect can be treated an a major defect under ACL and whether previous repair attempts with another dealer are relevant from an ACL perspective (i'd think they should be since the obstacle is Holden not authorising the repair).

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, a bit of info on lock actuators...
I'd be wary of spraying contact cleaner, and compressed air, into the housing.
The grease is required, as its a mostly mechanical actuator, with one sensor and a microswitch(both potted).
I'll state here that I haven't had a problem with the VF, but I have changed both of the VE's drivers door actuator, an MY12 and a MY12.5.
I'm only assuming the VF actuator would be similar.
View attachment 216643

Did some trouble shooting with a power supply and a multimeter and found the white microswitch below the terminal block was open circuit.
It provides feedback to the system when the door locks, and unlocks.
Looks like a PITA to disassemble the actuator before one can even look at the microswitch and sensor :rolleyes:

Any part number markings on the microswitch itself and does it only have the blue & orange wire connected to it? Where is the sensor you speak of? I'm guessing that getting a replacement microswitch was difficult hence why you replaced the actuator itself o_O

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Looks like a PITA to disassemble the actuator before one can even look at the microswitch and sensor :rolleyes:

Any part number markings on the microswitch itself and does it only have the blue & orange wire connected to it? Where is the sensor you speak of? I'm guessing that getting a replacement microswitch was difficult hence why you replaced the actuator itself o_O

The sensor is in with the electric motor, behind the terminal block.
Both the sensor and microswitch are potted with epoxy...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
The sensor is in with the electric motor, behind the terminal block.
Both the sensor and microswitch are potted with epoxy...
Potted components are a pain to remove but it can be done and the location cleaned up ready for the new parts... However it’s either using heat and lots of mechanical effort to scrape the epoxy away or nasty chemicals to soften the epoxy and scrape it away, so it may not be worth the effort. It’s especially the case if one also can’t easily source replacement microswitch and sensor

Pity Holden didn’t use a more robust component to begin with but nobody seems interested in designing stuff to last these days (or to be easily repaired) :(

Reactions: Lex

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Potted components are a pain to remove but it can be done and the location cleaned up ready for the new parts... However it’s either using heat and lots of mechanical effort to scrape the epoxy away or nasty chemicals to soften the epoxy and scrape it away, so it may not be worth the effort. It’s especially the case if one also can’t easily source replacement microswitch and sensor

Pity Holden didn’t use a more robust component to begin with but nobody seems interested in designing stuff to last these days (or to be easily repaired) :(

I'm sure it could be done, that's why I've kept one. I just CBF'd doing it at the moment...

Com91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sportswagon Black/UC Torana Hatch
That's really good to see the inside of the actuator, planning on doing the same myself but still awaiting some faulty actuators to arrive from a dealership we deal with. Yeah absolutely long term the grease is definitely a must, like I said the contact cleaner flush more apart of diagnosing the root cause and eliminating the actual steering lock from the equation, suspect ill have to replace the door actuator at some point in the future with some luck might even have a some reco's made up by then. Good Job!