Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service Steering Soon

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
Driving home from work Friday I had the message “Service Steering Soon” and I lost all power assist to the steering, doing 100km/h at the time, threw the car in neutral turned it off and back on and all was good again.
Is this the infamous known steering issue with the VFs? Mines out of warranty now so a bit concerned.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Driving home from work Friday I had the message “Service Steering Soon” and I lost all power assist to the steering, doing 100km/h at the time, threw the car in neutral turned it off and back on and all was good again.
Is this the infamous known steering issue with the VFs? Mines out of warranty now so a bit concerned.

If it's the known issue and there is a bulletin Holden will still have to repair it at no cost to you even if the vehicle is out of warranty.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Didn't they recall this in the states on chevy ss ?

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
Didn't they recall this in the states on chevy ss ?
Yes. In Australia its an inspection and regrease of the contact points on then power steering module. If corroded, they are suppose to replace the whole assembly.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Had my whole assembly teplaced on my 2014 GTS back in July for the same thing. Scary as shite thing have happen to you if your low speed in a corner.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Had my whole assembly teplaced on my 2014 GTS back in July for the same thing. Scary as shite thing have happen to you if your low speed in a corner.
Any pre warning?

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
Any pre warning?
Nope, heard the dings from the dash and had zero power assistance, I was going through an 80km/h roundabout too.
Steering is damn heavy when it shuts down.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Same experience but at a slower speed on a bend in the road. Slower you are travelling the worse the steering because its lost all electrics.
I used to have a '76 FJ Cruiser with no power assist and it was MUCH easier to turn than a VF when the power steering has died.

Nope, heard the dings from the dash and had zero power assistance, I was going through an 80km/h roundabout too.
Steering is damn heavy when it shuts down.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Yes. In Australia its an inspection and regrease of the contact points on then power steering module. If corroded, they are suppose to replace the whole assembly.

Any loss of power steering is replacement of the rack, non conductive grease in the connectors is an old rework to stop water ingress.

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
Update to this, dropped my car into Holden this morning and it’s a replacement rack for me. Fortunately as my car is now out of warranty it’s being done as goodwill for free.