Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Servicing Gas?

shane87vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 VP Calais
Hey guys,
I've recently bought another VL but this time its on gas. I've always been fine with servicing my cars but this is my first LPG car and I'm not sure exactly how the system works. Can't seem to find any threads about LPG and was just wandering if there is anything particular I can/need to do to service the LPG system??
Thanks

shane87vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 VP Calais
OK so I serviced my car today (nothing to do with the LPG though), The guy I bought it from said the fuel pump had seized as it didn't start when ignition turned on. I got under the car and found that the positive terminal was not connected so hooked it up and heard the fuel pump when ignition turned on... still no fuel though as when switched over to fuel it just dies, any ideas?? Fuel filter? lines? just knackered from not running on fuel for so long? Would i still hear the pump if it was siezed/blocked?
Thanks

aussie_macca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Road trawling paddock bomb = moody VL
yeah thats always a bugger, have you tried disconnecting the fuel line up at the engine bay and cranking it over to see if any fuel is coming out of the line? if theres not it could be worth disconnecting the line before the fuel filter and if theres still nothing the odds are the pump/s is shot, could be wrong but thats just from my 2 cents. If there is fuel making it to the engine then my guesse would be the injectors, i know the bloke said the fuel pump from what ive seen as soon as a car stops running on fuel people just advertise it as needing a fuel pump so it comes across as i nice easy semi-cheap fix. is it running at all on fuel even for a few seconds or just dying in the arse as soon as the gas has stopped.

shane87vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 VP Calais
Thanks man, will check the lines when the weather clears up (raining).. I think it might just be a blockage somewhere as I can hear the pump when the ignition turns on. The car doesn't run at all on fuel when you switch it over to the fuel its just stalls when the gas in the lines runs out.

v6lux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 (was VR) V6 Hilux
was just wandering if there is anything particular I can/need to do to service the LPG system??
Thanks

Legally NO!

You would only touch it if you didn't have to ask, so book-in to a LPG installer for a tune-up. Should only cost less than $100, unless the tank is out of date or it don't work at all.

shane87vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 VP Calais
v6lux, Yeah I didn't really want to touch anything with the gas (don't really want to blow myself up) it's working fine just a general enquiry.

detox_nath83, How would I go about checking the intank pump? Are there leads I can wack a multimeter on or anything like that?

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
well basically because its the intank one the leads may work no worries but the pump itself is up the sh*t
if it does not run on fuel and u have no pressure up the lines i would say that one of the pumps is failing.
you could basically remove the intank pump and power it up manually to see if it works.(take it out and leave it plugged in to see if it runs when ignitioni s on)
when u turn ignition on u may hear a pump working so as it tries to prime(highflow) it will not shut off after say 3-5 seconds if it keeps running it is trying to pressurise the system still but not getting fed from the inertia pump.
goodluck man let us know