Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Servicing my vehicle

`Aleks

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black SSV
I own a 2010 my10 SSV with just under 50,000kms and want to do a service on it before i put it on the road (who knows what the last owner has put in it), I will be flushing all fluids in it. I have gone through some threads but cant find exactly what im chasing.

1. What type of oil brand? and should i get 5w-30, or 10w-50 etc.???

2. Oil for the clutch and brake?

3. Coolant type? i had bought for my SV6 a red coolant which is for commodores only but i was told genuine holden coolant is yellow?

4. Oil filter?

5. Can you change the fuel filter on these cars or not (i was told you don't change it until it reaches like 150,000kms or something along them lines)?

6. Front brake pads? which ones are good and price values

Cheers lads.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Always a smart move.
Brake fluids and pads - see GSL Rallysport (a forum sponsor). Great prices and top service and advice.
Pretty sure Holden coolant is red (they put that in my SV6) - but the important bit is that it's the right spec, not colour.
Oil brand is going to get you a lot of answers, but I'd go with whatever Holden recommend for viscosity. Is it direct injection on the V8? If so, I'd really go for fully synthetic only (seems to be almost essential for DI engines of all brands - Toyota and Holden seem to have oil usage issues otherwise that I have seen). It's better anyway, but I only use semi-synthetic in my LY7 engine (being a cheap bastard).
Fuel filter change should be in the owners manual, though it sounds like you want to change it anyway. Not sure how to or how hard.
I'd have to look up anything else. If more intelligent people haven't answered your questions and I find my Gregory's (assuming it covers you car too), I'll post again before I go out today.

Thanks to Sean880 on another thread re. coolant- red DEXCOOL (GM 6277M) goes in the SV6. Pretty sure the V8s are the same, just more of it. Should be in the owner's manual, and I'll check the Gregory's on that too if no-one else confirms or corrects before I leave.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Mate go by the book as a minimum spec and frequency, worth noting:
1 Oil schedule as per handbook chart basically says the service interval is 7500k unless ideal conditions for the motor and you drive like a granny. No reason not to stick with that as your L98 is free of any of the lubrication hoodoo that is associated with the 6.0 because of AFM.
As you want to take control of the most basic but arguably the most important thing, check the Oil Life Monitor in Engineering mode. GM's algorithm is world class and lauded globally as incredibly accurate, so reset that and use it to inform the oil service interval as well.
4 Filter Easy and costs next to nothing to spin out ($20 & a litre of oil), so do that when oil life is around 50%, cleans oil back to looking perfect. Twice as many filters as oil changes always beats a fouled up 'blessed' branded one.
6 Pads Not a personal choice, get the QFM HPX police spec from GSL Rallysport. You simply won't believe how dangerous the stockies actually are until you see what a difference these make.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Ok, this is all according to the Gregory's manual. But I have noticed a discrepancy or two between it and the owner's manual in other places, so I don't stand by it 100%. Things I've seen include different procedure when jump starting (Gregory's says turn everything OFF, owner's says turn everything ON to protect circuitry). Can't think of what else I've seen different at the moment.
1. Oil Grade: API grade SM ILSAC GF4; Viscosity: SAE 5W-30.
2. For V8 to 2010: Dexron III ATF for both.
3. Doesn't say exactly, just says "A 50/50 mix of water and inhibited ethylene glycol based antifreeze". I believe Sean880's answer above is correct and would follow his advice. I didn't think it was glycol, but don't really know.
4. Well as Pir4te says, change it. Should be done at oil change anyway.
5. Should not require changing under normal conditions. Part of primary fuel pump and is one complete unit (pump and filter). No mention of an in-line filter.
6. Well that's 2 answers, both say see GSL Rallysport...

Can't advise on brands etc. to use, I don't know enough. And to be honest, I bought pads/fluid before I spoke to GSL as I then decided to replace rotors as well. I should have spoken to them first :( At least they took good care of me for my rotors, and I'll be going straight back to them for the next pad/fluid change. Their advice may change depending on best value for money at the time and what you require, but again I'll agree with Pir4te that I've heard good things about those pads (but haven't used them myself). Now go enjoy the step up into your new car.

ps- may want to be careful about calling everyone "lads", some females on here smarter and more knowledgeable than you and I combined. ;)

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
As for oil just go Castrol edge 5w 30 and you'll be sweet. Get two 5 litre bottles as the L98 takes about 8 litres. The oil argument is never ending but for a decent synthetic oil Castrol edge is what I and everyone with an LSX engine use.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

`Aleks

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black SSV
okay guys i went ahead and looked at some things and this is what i came up with

1. Redline full synthetic 5w-30
2. I got a brake fluid which is for both but forgot what it was called.
3. coolant- red DEXCOOL (GM 6277M)
4. bought a holden genuine oil filter 18$
5. You can change the fuelk filter but im going to decide to not change it or atleast for awhile anyway
6. steel need some pads

mydato

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE, 28 Model A Pickup
Redlineoil is a waste of money in a commodore.