Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

servicing VX - how to get up on jack stands

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
hello all,

am soon going to do a 40,000km service on my VX; what is the most effective method for getting it up on jack stands? Should I use a trolley jack or the scissor jack? Is it possible to jack up under the subframes? I am looking at doing the front stuff first then the back stuff, i think to have jack stands under all 4 jacking points at once is a little dangerous.

any thoughts?

thekid93

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack
front, under the k frame and rear by the diff, with trolly,

jst make sure its ur k frame not ur sump

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
wow 40 000 nice k's

Thats what I was thinking.

Wheel choks beind the back wheel (prevents car being pushed back off the stands), trolley jack under K-frame, two chassis stands under the sides, and leave trolley jack under but make sure the stands are taking the weight.

Opposite for back but under the diff for the trolley jack.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
What I want to know is how old is the oil in the engine? Regardless of kilometers I would change it frequently, say every 6-9 months.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
yesiree, currently around 39600. Still wears its original bridgestone RE92s made during the 17th week of 2001 :rockon: once the paintwork or the rear bumper is rectified (see thread in panelbeating sub-forum) the only evidence of wear are some scratches in the boot. Otherwise, is basically brand new :)

Was going to do basic 40,000 service of oil, air, and fuel filters and the oil itself, plus spark plugs. In addition there has been no record of the coolant and brake fluid ever being changed, so I'll do those too. Finally, according to the service schedule the car has been under 'extreme conditions' doing such a low mileage, which means the auto tranny will be serviced too. Plus all the checks.

My main concern was the owners handbook stipulated that trolley jacks be put under the areas where i was going to put the stands. I had this issue on a peugeot 306, and was problematic, for there was no good subframes to put a jack under. But now the soultion is found. Thank you all :)

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Don't forget the diff oil, it will need changing too. And the power steering fluid. I would do every drop of fluid in the car, they all deteriorate over time.