Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

servicing

Chaddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh commodore sl
im almost upto 90000 kms and is flashing service does holden need to do the service or can i do it my self as they wanna charge me 350+. all they do on the 90000 is fuel/air filters plugs/leads and oil and they said if its roughly three yrs old it needs coolant and brake fluid change over which would cost more again.if i can do it myself how do i get rid of the service thing flashing when i start my car. thanks heaps

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Dive into your owners manual, it'll explain how to get rid of the service reminder, just a matter of pushing your display buttons a certain way.
As for the service, i did a major one on mine at 40000 and depending on how handy you are with this sort of thing it is pretty straight forward.

hsv_punk

I Just Want One
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Berlina V6
Do yourself a favour buy a gregories or similar service manual, some basic tools and get into it. As long as you read the book and understand what your doing, take your time and do it right, you should be fine doing it yourself. The manual explains most things, just dont take everything as gospel as a few things may be slightly wrong (only minor things I have found so far). With a bit of common sense and time you can save yourself a fortune, and get a better job done.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
if you want to get it done by the books try another dealer as $350 is a complete rip off

Johnny_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Ute
You're out of warranty anyway... if you have half a clue on what needs to be done, buy a manual as suggested, hook up with someone who does know. You will be rewarded with a lifetime of free (consumeables only) services that you know are done correctly and using top quality parts and oil. With the money you save you can service and replace parts more regularly. i.e. Holden services require the air filter to be changed every 40,000kms, at $20 each its nothing to change every service.

Don't forget there is also the added challenge of learning new things and getting to know your vehicle that much better.

Aryashahin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Calais supercharged V6
you are lucky i got charged $750 for a service my car only done 60 000

H

Hendo

you are lucky i got charged $750 for a service my car only done 60 000

I paid $162.00 for my 60k service and got new front pads. Total was $400. I reckon I got ripped cos the car came out worse than it went into my local Service Centre.

I'm never going back there, they are rubbish. I don't know a whole whack about cars but always did my services myself when I was younger or my good mate is/was a mechanic and he did them all in later years.

This thread just kind of validates why dealers and service centres are shite. I actually honestly believe they don't even do anything to the cars at all. I can't explain the performance of my car in any technical terms post-60k service. But it was unresponsive and heavy.

Warranties aren't worth sh*t and going by the inconsistent prices on this thread, dealer services are crap, too.

Spindry

Reaction score
My friend just had his VZ Lumina serviced. Holden charged him $350 for oil filter, oil and a wheel balance. He marked his tyres to see if they actually did the balancing. When he got the car back the marks lined up perfectly. So he rang and asked why he was charged for a balance they didn't do. They were somewhat apolegetic. :embarrass

hkmonaro68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
My friend just had his VZ Lumina serviced. Holden charged him $350 for oil filter, oil and a wheel balance. He marked his tyres to see if they actually did the balancing. When he got the car back the marks lined up perfectly. So he rang and asked why he was charged for a balance they didn't do. They were somewhat apolegetic. :embarrass

There shouldnt be an extra charge for the wheel balance as its part of any KM service on VZs and is included in the labour charge.
Be asking for it to be done and my money back.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
There shouldnt be an extra charge for the wheel balance as its part of any KM service on VZs and is included in the labour charge.
Be asking for it to be done and my money back.

wheel balancing you take only about 5 mins and the weights are only worth about 1c each so there shouldn't even be much of a labour charge