Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

set up suggestion?

T-MaKK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY Executive
okies.. so im lookin to chuck a system in my vx (when i eventually get it)
and i really have no idea what i want/need.

theres no way ill spend over 1k.. but realistically 800 is probably my max.

the only specifications are...
-this head unit (its like the only 1 i like the look/controlls. JB Hi-Fi - Car Mp3 CD Tuners (the pioneer down the bottom, $298)
-a sub with some decent kick. dosent have to be loud.. i just wanna be able to annoy ppl with some hip hop when i want to.

.. thats it really... HELP!
please.. :)

oh.. im also probly gonna be on LPG.. so yeah, keep that in mind :p

i can also make a ported box to save some coin if i need (i think i know how to)

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Are you upgrading your stock speakers within that budget? assuming your not, then why not just stick with the stock head unit, save yourself $300, buy a better sub, and just tap into the rear speaker lines....

2LOUD2OLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
ok well with $800 you dont have a lot to play with. if you are prepared to install the gear yourself that will save a bit of money, but you also need to factor in wiring into your budget. if you get that HU that leaves you with $500. now take off $100 for wiring we still have $400. If all you "want" is a sub then easy, just get a 2channel amp and maybe a Pioneer 307 dual 2ohm sub.
in my opinion :D what you "need" is more money and then to upgrade the front stage with a nice set of 6.5" splits run off maybe a 4channel amp bridging channels 3 and 4 to run a sub. this will cost a little bit more but the results will be so much more worth it.

also with LPG bear in mind that it will greatly affect the amount of bass that reaches the cabin

T-MaKK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY Executive
i probly wont be upgradin the stock speakers, they dont cost shitloads so that can happen a few weeks down the track.
ill be installing myself.

with the lpg.. since theres gonna be **** all room in the boot anywayz .. i got thinking..
is there such thing as mounting the tank right up againts the boot (as far to the rear of the car as possible) and accsessing the little bootspace left from the drop down rear seats?

if thats possible it also gives me the option of bolting the sub to one of the seats and having it "fold" out with the seat..
just somethin id like to do.. :p

thoughts? :)

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
i probly wont be upgradin the stock speakers, they dont cost shitloads so that can happen a few weeks down the track.
ill be installing myself.

with the lpg.. since theres gonna be **** all room in the boot anywayz .. i got thinking..
is there such thing as mounting the tank right up againts the boot (as far to the rear of the car as possible) and accsessing the little bootspace left from the drop down rear seats?

if thats possible it also gives me the option of bolting the sub to one of the seats and having it "fold" out with the seat..
just somethin id like to do.. :p

thoughts? :)

Mate, I don't think thats an option, I think that they want to get the tank as far into the middle of the car as possible, I think for safety reasons. If you have the tank at the back and somebody rams you, good chance of hitting the tank... the tank is like a tank ive been told (strong), but I think for safety and legal sake they won't allow it.

Also with 2LOUD2OLD - I own a Hifonic 2412 (2400rms) and I think that I lose a lot of bass due to the gas tank. Unfortunately I don't think I have any other option but to have it in the boot. The gas tank is sitting on the hump of the boot (VS sedan), so when I pull down my centre fold... I see this big round shiny thing (gas tank). I really should of got a wagon like holdenboy.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Just put the sub at the rear of the boot facing upwards or forwards... You'll have more bass than if you had it behind the seats anyway.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
$800 will get you nothing my friend...trust me, if you don't replace the stock speakers, its not worth getting a sub, aftermarket headunit or amps or anything...

Look around for a cheap aftermarket headunit, like the Pioneer one you mentioned...

Buy new speakers***** 6" or 6.5", preferably splits...get some speakers at the back as well, or get 6X9's if you don't want to get a sub, (don't get 6X9's and a sub, its gay)

If you have a budget of $800, bare in mind that installation (if your not installing it yourself) is going to be a bitch...upwards of $300, then about $100+ of wiring...thats already half your budget blown. I would suggest that you don't try and put a **** system in all at one time, chances are that the stock system will probably be better. Save up and at least allow yourself $1500, leaving room for headunit, speakers, sub, amp, wiring...

stereos aren't cheap, and trust me, the ones that are cheap aren't worth having...

T-MaKK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY Executive
errrm..

my m8 got her system from jb hifi for 600 when it was all on special..

she has the HU i want, 6x9s.. not sure what brand, a 12" sony sub of some sort.. and a sony amp of some sort.

she installed it herself and picked up a 10" box from a m8..

it can be done.. i think ive just gotta find ma shizz when its on special...