Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

set up suggestion?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
It can be done with cheap shitty gear... It's best not to though.

Don't buy 6x9's and a sub like your friend.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yep listen to StoneX, you'll be wasting money by purchasing 6x9s and a sub. If you cant spend any more dough then just buy the head-unit, 4ch. amp and a sub/box. Run the sub off the rear channels of the amp and when you can afford it buy a set of splits for the front doors and run them off the front channels of the amp.

T-MaKK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY Executive
okies. cool. that sounds alright...

how much/what am i gonna need as far as wiring goes?
ill be puttin it in myself, but i havent done any car audio befor

also am i gonna save much cash makin my own sub box?
and with the box, is the volume needed befor or after the sub is in?... i mean when the subs in the box the volume is considerably smaller...
does that make sense...?

Last edited:

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
ill be puttin it in myself, but i havent done any car audio befor

Ok, firstly if your going to be putting it in yourself, get someone who knows what they are doing. I emphasise the fact that they KNOW what they are doing, not think what they are doing, because if you f**k something up, chances are you can risk a fire or stuff some of your gear or something like that...make sure you know exactly what your doing, especially when you fiddle and sh*t...

also am i gonna save much cash makin my own sub box?

yes you will save money by making a sub box, but I would reccomend just buying a good second hand sub, something that works and is worth more money than what you could buy brand new from the stores...

how much/what am i gonna need as far as wiring goes?

Wiring will be upwards of $100, DO NOT BUY CHEAP WIRES...I LEARNT THE HARD WAY! buy a wiring pack, either for 2 or 4 chan amplifier....get a good one like Cadence, they go for like $120 in JB...try getting it in a sale. Listen to Holdenboy and StoneX....don't waste your money on cheap ****...you'll wish you never spent the money, because believe me, it isn't worth having...I know you only want to spend $800 and thats your budget, i can understand that...but trust me when I say that you have to be careful what you spend your money on when you are buying stuff under such a tight budget, particularly when its a complete system.

Check this Thread by Holdenboy. could give you some help

just to give you some idea of what is going on and what you can do...my system all up is worth over $3500, and its half finished... and I have spent about $700 all up

1. Alpine headunit, sells in JB for $550, I bought it for $200 brand new off ebay..
2. JL Audio 6" splits in front, usually sell for $350 each (don't know what type they are, they came with my car)
3. Rockford Fosgate 6" speakers in parcel shelf, usually sell for $350 each (don't know what type they are, they came with my car)
4. Sony Xplod sub (800wrms), usually sells for $200 in JB
5. Cadence Z8000 2 chan amp, sells for $590 from JB 2 years back... (Got Sony sub and amp worth $800 together for $200, barely used off ebay)

shop around man, know exactly what you looking for, try going for some second hand stuff

12" Sub

4 Chan Cadence Amp

Get one of those cheaper headunits from the JB catalog or try your luck at getting a more expensive one cheaper or second hand one ...or something like this

Alpine iDA-X300

Last edited:

T-MaKK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY Executive
i havent really had time to sus out ebay, but ive done some more looking at jb hifi.

the pioneer HU - 298
cadence 500 watt. 500watt x1 300watt x1 @4ohm 288
sony 12" 1300 watt sub + box (in the picture its in a box so im assuming.... ) 148

that leaves me at 714.. i rekn i could stretch to buy some cadence cables.

im thinkin if i buy from JB i can haggle a little?
ill search through ebay for a bit aswell

EDIT - i think thats the amp my friend is using with the same HU, 1000 wat sony amp and a set of 6x9s...
will the amp be suitable for my set up (keeping in mind ill be gettin some 6"s down the track. )

Last edited:

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
i havent really had time to sus out ebay, but ive done some more looking at jb hifi.

the pioneer HU - 298
cadence 500 watt. 500watt x1 300watt x1 @4ohm 288
sony 12" 1300 watt sub + box (in the picture its in a box so im assuming.... ) 148

that leaves me at 714.. i rekn i could stretch to buy some cadence cables.

im thinkin if i buy from JB i can haggle a little?
ill search through ebay for a bit aswell

EDIT - i think thats the amp my friend is using with the same HU, 1000 wat sony amp and a set of 6x9s...
will the amp be suitable for my set up (keeping in mind ill be gettin some 6"s down the track. )

JB can haggle...although they won't go down too much, if at all if they sense that you don't know what your talking about or know much about what your buying...if you come across with a confident and well versed attitude then they might be prepared to come down a little more, particularly if your buying $500+ worth of gear in one shot

T-MaKK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY Executive
yeah. ill try n educate myself more before now and when i purchase...

does the hardware itself look ok? will the amp feed the sub what it needs? n all that shizzle?

also im thinkin about getin a late 90s early 2000 vectra for arround 7k. with my current financial situation a 4cyl car will suit me alot better... thatll leave me with 1.5k to get the car on road and anything left over ill add to the stereo fund.

also.. is there an easy way to understand "4ohm" ?

thanks for the help!

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
yeah. ill try n educate myself more before now and when i purchase...

does the hardware itself look ok? will the amp feed the sub what it needs? n all that shizzle?

also im thinkin about getin a late 90s early 2000 vectra for arround 7k. with my current financial situation a 4cyl car will suit me alot better... thatll leave me with 1.5k to get the car on road and anything left over ill add to the stereo fund.

also.. is there an easy way to understand "4ohm" ?

thanks for the help!

hardware is ok. if thats all your going to spend then thats all your going to get. In my experience, I have sat in cars with $6 or $7000 stereos in them, people have got all excited and spent $1000 on brand new gear and it sounds nothing like the higher priced and quality set ups...But it's all down to preference if thats what you want or all you can afford then it should be fine! as long as you get good brands with good reputations.

In terms of power, be careful with the sub and the amps power...completely ignore a sub or an amps max power rating thats all bullshit...what you need to focus on is Watts RMS (wrms)...be careful if your amp's power rating RMS is below the subs, because you can feed the sub the max power of the amp and still want to crank it and then kaboom, there goes your amp...try and match it all up...but also be careful if you go the other extreme with a more powerful amp cos then you can blow your subby...

4ohm is the electrical pressure. Ohms and volts and watts are all very different

OHM: The ohm is defined as the resistance between two points of a conductor when a constant potential difference of 1 volt, applied to these points, produces in the conductor a current of 1 ampere, the conductor not being the seat of any electromotive force.

WATT: The watt (symbol: W) is the SI derived unit of power, equal to one joule of energy per second. It measures a rate of energy conversion.

T-MaKK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY Executive
okies.

amp:
300watt - 4 ohm
500watt - 2 ohm

sub:
1300watt - 4ohm

so, going by what you said it should run fine off 300 watt channel?

to me.. 300watts doesn't logically seem enough to power at 1300wat amp... but im not very well educated on the subject..
also, is this a dual channel amp or quad?
i mean id assume its dual but it think i recal my m8 saying it was quad..

will it be cool for an upgrade later on?
i mean ill run a 6"s off which ever the sub ISNT on.. but can i split that line n put another set of 6"s or 6x9"s?

T-MaKK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY Executive
... i just realised that last post of mine is completely bung.. sorry.

btw im sorry if im gettin annoying, but ive gotta learn some how..

Last edited: