Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Setting Up Home Network with Netcomm NB5Plus4W

mrhotdog

What Would Jesus Do?.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim
i still cant see the desktop from the vista, and i cant network the drives cause i cant find the comp

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
i still cant see the desktop from the vista, and i cant network the drives cause i cant find the comp

On the XP computer, you wont be able to see the Vista desktop (as in the screen) without using RDC (remote desktop connection) which is a tottally different thing.

Set your folder you want to share, and find the network path:
Should look like this: \\Computer name\Share name

then go the other computer and map the drive, and see if it finds it.

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
Vista requires you to login to be able to access files, and as stated above most people use guest accounts as a way around this.

Depending on your router, you might not be able to use DNS for local traffic. Therefore try typing \\*IP address of other computer*. For example \\192.168.0.2.

If that works but you can't access the computer via its computer name, like for example \\computer, then DNS is not enabled. A way around this is just to add the IP address of the other computer to your host file.

Now if you do need to edit your host file, please be really careful not to delete anything, and make sure you spell everything right otherwise it wont work.

Open up C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc, open up the hosts file in notepad.
you will see at the bottom of the document, 127.0.0.1 localhost, underneath that add in the details for your other computer.

For example, Underneath 127.0.0.1 localhost (on Vista there will be a ::1 localhost [This is for IP version 6] entry as well, just add it under that) add in 192.168.0.2 Computer.

If i was to type \\computer in windows explorer now, it will automatically take me to that IP address, which is 192.168.0.2.

You would need to set this up on both PCs to get this to work.

So theres a bit of info that might help. Remember changing the hosts files will only be useful if you can see the other computer by typing their IP address. If you can't access the other PC even when typing in the IP address you have not set up your network properly, you would need to go over your settings on each PC and find out what the problem may be. Might be file sharing is disabled, might be folder permissions, etc.