Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Setting Up Home Network with Netcomm NB5Plus4W

mrhotdog

What Would Jesus Do?.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim
hey
ive got the laptop running vista home basic and the desktop running xp pro, i cant figure out how to network the two using the wireless router? anybody got ideas?
Thanks

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
What sort of network do you want?

They will both be on "Workgroup" if sharing the same router.

Do you want to play network games, network drives, network printers.... or a domain system?

Thousands of options of what you want your network to do. If they are sharing a router now, they are networked ;)

mrhotdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim
mostly just share files, and the printer. they both have 'workgroup' as their workgroup but i cant see the other comp from either comp

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
mostly just share files, and the printer. they both have 'workgroup' as their workgroup but i cant see the other comp from either comp

Should be able to see each other when you click the workgroup, or "view networked computers" or something similar on XP.

Check the firewalls arnt blocking them.

You can share files by using the microsoft folder sharing system already in place for that exact reason, also used to share files amongst multible users on one computer. Or you can do the same for a random folder:
Right click, click the sharing tab, enable network sharing and either set permissions at this level (so the other computers credentials).
Then go to the other computer and "map a network drive" giving the location of the shared folder, if you didnt give assign permissions before then enter the credentials of the first computer and enable "re-connect at logon". Will appear as another hard drive on the other computer.
Sorry if thats confusing, just giving a summary of what needs to be done.

For your printer, go to the other computer, manually add a printer, selecting network printer, assign its destination and drivers, you MAY have to enable printer sharing on the other computer, but its normally enabled as default.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Sharing files on vista is really really annoying to get working properly. For some reason it still won't let you see the folders you have shared over the network, even after allowing 'Everyone' to view and modify files under the sharing tab.The solution I found is to make sure the 'guest' account is active in user profiles on both computers, and make sure to add the 'guest' user in the sharing settings when sharing a folder- using that account is the only way I could get it to work.

Every time I want to transfer files between PCs however I have to log in as "Guest". Real pain in the ass.

As for the router, I had to set one of these up the other day and couldn't get the wireless to stay connected for the life of me. Figured it out in the end that I needed to play around with the 'channel' setting. After about 5 different channels I finally found one it liked.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Sharing files on vista is really really annoying to get working properly. For some reason it still won't let you see the folders you have shared over the network, even after allowing 'Everyone' to view and modify files under the sharing tab.The solution I found is to make sure the 'guest' account is active in user profiles on both computers, and make sure to add the 'guest' user in the sharing settings when sharing a folder- using that account is the only way I could get it to work.

Every time I want to transfer files between PCs however I have to log in as "Guest". Real pain in the ass.

As for the router, I had to set one of these up the other day and couldn't get the wireless to stay connected for the life of me. Figured it out in the end that I needed to play around with the 'channel' setting. After about 5 different channels I finally found one it liked.

Had no problems with sharing over a network with Vista.
The Vista hard drive is actually a share caus I got sick of mum ****ing **** up, I shared it, on my computer I map the network drive, but use credentials of the Vista computer, works fine.
When mapping the server (XP) to Vista, its as simple as clicking map, and setting the destination and "reconnect at logon" works perfect.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Had no problems with sharing over a network with Vista.
The Vista hard drive is actually a share caus I got sick of mum ****ing **** up, I shared it, on my computer I map the network drive, but use credentials of the Vista computer, works fine.
When mapping the server (XP) to Vista, its as simple as clicking map, and setting the destination and "reconnect at logon" works perfect.

Yea the major issue I was having was sharing between my two vista pc's. Sharing with my xp server was easy enough however. With Vista to vista I literally tried everything to get it working... it just wouldnt recognise permissions for some stupid reason. It seems with Vista networking it wants you to have an account on every pc to log into.. with one of my PCs being a htpc I didn't want a log in screen popping up every time I switched it on, so I ended up enabling the guest account instead.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Yea the major issue I was having was sharing between my two vista pc's. Sharing with my xp server was easy enough however. With Vista to vista I literally tried everything to get it working... it just wouldnt recognise permissions for some stupid reason. It seems with Vista networking it wants you to have an account on every pc to log into.. with one of my PCs being a htpc I didn't want a log in screen popping up every time I switched it on, so I ended up enabling the guest account instead.

Interesting, I've never done a network drive between two Vista PC's in a home enviroment, but that does like a pain in the ass..... That problem is definitly fixed in Windwos 7.
I bought one copy of Vista, no chance I was buying a second :p

mrhotdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim
it was the firewall on the XP, now i can see the laptop but cant get in as theres something about permissions which is **** as ive set it to allow all etc

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
it was the firewall on the XP, now i can see the laptop but cant get in as theres something about permissions which is **** as ive set it to allow all etc

Correct, when looking at the computer in your network, you cant get access to anything, just the details of it.
You will need to network drive to share files (easiest way)
and add a network printer to share the network printer.