Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

setting up splits (jvc headunit)

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Is it just me, or do you have some problem where you can't go into a thread without making a smart arse??

Im not trying to be a smart arse, but surely you don't expect a $130 2500w amp to sound good?

If thats what you want thats what you want, just don't expect any more than $130 worth of performance out of it because you seriously will get what you pay for.

LightningVP

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7 SV8
Im not trying to be a smart arse, but surely you don't expect a $130 2500w amp to sound good?

If thats what you want thats what you want, just don't expect any more than $130 worth of performance out of it because you seriously will get what you pay for.

I must be so silly to think that a cheap amp wont work...damn...Considering half the stuff I buy is from over seas, and nearly all of it is better than the over priced stuff sold in our stores...I pay for my items, not for the name on my items...

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
I must be so silly to think that a cheap amp wont work...damn...Considering half the stuff I buy is from over seas, and nearly all of it is better than the over priced stuff sold in our stores...I pay for my items, not for the name on my items...

Im pretty sure everything you buy from overseas comes from China, especially this amp you are talking about. Does it even have a brand? Did you buy it off ebay?

The gear sold here is often overpriced compared to overseas, but its a hell of a lot better quality than any of the stuff you are buying.

LightningVP

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7 SV8
Im pretty sure everything you buy from overseas comes from China, especially this amp you are talking about. Does it even have a brand? Did you buy it off ebay?

The gear sold here is often overpriced compared to overseas, but its a hell of a lot better quality than any of the stuff you are buying.

I bought a phone from over seas, yes from China, exactly LIKE the iphone, but unlike the Iphone it had no iphone logos, nothing on it that made it "apple", so i only had to pay $200 for it...worked fine, no problems at all...But because it wasn't apple licenced it wasn't so over priced, there very over rated anyway :whistling

As for this amp, it is from Sydney, not sure where they got it from, but its not a chinese non branded one, its a powervox, not your high class over priced stuff but does the job...to some people there are more important things than having the best of the best...

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
I bought a phone from over seas, yes from China, exactly LIKE the iphone, but unlike the Iphone it had no iphone logos, nothing on it that made it "apple", so i only had to pay $200 for it...worked fine, no problems at all...But because it wasn't apple licenced it wasn't so over priced, there very over rated anyway :whistling

As for this amp, it is from Sydney, not sure where they got it from, but its not a chinese non branded one, its a powervox, not your high class over priced stuff but does the job...to some people there are more important things than having the best of the best...

PowerVox is not only made in China, the whole company is in Zhuhai. Its a chinese company. They even bloody advertise it, "We using LOW COST labor from China" is written on their webpage.

If you check the powervox website, ALL their max outputs are just 10x the actual RMS output of the amp. So you're '2500 watt' amp is actually only a 250watt amp (if that). Probably 125w x 2. It'll 'do the job' but it will do it very poorly and it may be hard to tell over the $130 worth of distortion.

They shouldn't be allowed to promote max power as its not even a real number, they just put whatever the hell they want on the box. Max Power means nothing at all.

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
check out the line of Amps from Jaycar..Repsonse is the model line....good bang for buck.

Reaction score

lol, but you could have bought the "2600watt" one for only $95! lol

NEW POWERVOX BT488 2600W 4/3/2 Ch AMP SUB CNTRL 1YRWTY - eBay Amplifiers, Audio, Video, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 28-Sep-08 20:43:55 AEST)

seriously, "powervox" is the LAST brand of car audio I'd ever buy, EVER!

its most likely lower quality than the crappy "avalanche" brand that Strathfield used to sell.

I bought two brand new ReSponse 4 X 100watt amps, for $150 each.

thats a true 400watts rms total.

whereas you apparently paid $125 for 250watts of crappy chinese amplifier, hmm.

I can see why you'd want to save $25, for half the power, half the reliability, and twice the distortion.

VNexecutive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
thanks for the input guys

my brother had one of those avalanche amps sitting around so thats gunna go in and if it sounds completely useless then ill get a jaycar one or something similar. its not a competition stereo anyways.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah the avalanche amps werent too bad, they were the silver ones with the gold plate on the front right?